Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Second seat for PA12?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Greetings, all!

I am looking into buying a PA12, and I was wondering if anyone has ever rigged a second seat somehow; I would like to take my 7-year oold son fishing with me at some point. Also, any general tips/advice for a prospective buyer? Many thanks!

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On of the stadium seats from Wal-Mart or a sports store works great, just remove the metal clips on the bottom.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you want to take another person, I would go with the PA 14 for the extra length, width, and total weight factors. Even if the person is small and under 100 pounds. That's just me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The stadium seat works well but if you want him to have any kind of comfort you need to mount it on something. Find a small cooler that you can place in the rear well and strap it down. Then mount your stadium seat to the top of that. That way his legs will have some bend to them and he'll stay comfortable longer.

I have the PA 14 and take my 92lb ten year old with me all the time. He sets atop a 60qt cooler on a stadium seat. It's a little high up but it works better for our sight fishing the redfish here in Florida. We only do this in protected waters. When fishing in areas with boat traffic I use a much smaller cooler back there with the stadium seat on top.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all your great tips, everyone! Is there any one stadium seat that's preferred, or are they pretty much all the same? Thanks again,

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

They are mostly the same. Some have a rigid aluminum tubing frame and some are just cloth. Obviously if using a rigid frame seat make sure it's sitting on something other than the kayaks hull surface so that there are no pressure points where the frame contacts the boat. I use a framed seat but since it sits atop the cooler I have no issues.