Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking good!
I would not bother pulling gudgeons etc...see how bad/if it leaks 1st!
We will be up at Cultus saturday with one...maybe 2 (if my tramp shows up) 16's and maybe a 14. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobiesrock wrote:

Just to be clear on my recommendation.....

Obviously it's not urgent if there's no significant leakage....15 minute project for off-season (if screws aren't stuck). However, the boat is old and has sat up for a long time, so, if not already happening 1) it will eventually leak in these areas requiring gudgeon removal, and 2) the SS gudgeon screws will eventually fuse to the aluminum plate inside. Thus, I'm recommending that this be done sooner rather than later.

Skicrave: My advice is for you to continue to focus on what it takes to get you on the water safely, and save the other improvements for later, if ever. Following that logic, I wouldn't worry about retrofitting one-piece gudgeons. You don't have to look far down the forum for threads regarding what a PITA they are for marginal, if any, improvement.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ya only reason I was saying to wait on pulling those is to avoid possible stripped/broken screws. :D I am scared to touch em on my 1980.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great job Ski !!!!
You are a good son, thus a good Dad yourself. Your son will have the same good heart that you have because you are following your Dad`s and Mom`s good teachings. It`s very commendable that you save/keep that Awesome boat in the Family, I`m sure your Dad/Mother feel very good about that.
Like it has been said, replace ALL the wires, pins, and hardware !!! Also seal every gap ( 3M`s 5200 works wonderful )
Just be carefull and always carry a portable waterproof VHF, and water and food, you know, Hobie`s capsize and you will need some food and help sometimes.
HAVE FUN !!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hobiesrock wrote:
Looking good!
We will be up at Cultus saturday with one...maybe 2 (if my tramp shows up) 16's and maybe a 14. 8)

That's what I'm thinking, I'll cross that bridge if necessary, otherwise, the two piece stainless design should be more than sufficient.

Doesn't look like we'll make it up tomorrow, we have to be at a wedding at 3, and Sunday looks like the weather may be deteriorating too much (afternoon t-storms), we'll see though.

rattle 'n hum wrote:
Just to be clear on my recommendation.....

Obviously it's not urgent if there's no significant leakage....15 minute project for off-season (if screws aren't stuck). However, the boat is old and has sat up for a long time, so, if not already happening 1) it will eventually leak in these areas requiring gudgeon removal, and 2) the SS gudgeon screws will eventually fuse to the aluminum plate inside. Thus, I'm recommending that this be done sooner rather than later.

Skicrave: My advice is for you to continue to focus on what it takes to get you on the water safely, and save the other improvements for later, if ever. Following that logic, I wouldn't worry about retrofitting one-piece gudgeons. You don't have to look far down the forum for threads regarding what a PITA they are for marginal, if any, improvement.

Thanks for the input. I understand what you're saying, and assuming it isn't necessary to fix sooner, I'll address that as part of my major overhaul this fall when we're not using the boat.

Based on the threads I've read, it sounds like it may make sense to employ my companies 6-axis mill and just draw/fab up my own replacement one piece that will use the same mounting holes.

hobiesrock wrote:
Ya only reason I was saying to wait on pulling those is to avoid possible stripped/broken screws. :D I am scared to touch em on my 1980.

I hear you on that! Hopefully neither one of us has to deal with it, but if so, I'll keep you posted.

Johnnymoto wrote:
Great job Ski !!!!
You are a good son, thus a good Dad yourself. Your son will have the same good heart that you have because you are following your Dad`s and Mom`s good teachings. It`s very commendable that you save/keep that Awesome boat in the Family, I`m sure your Dad/Mother feel very good about that.

Thank you for the kind words. Fortunately I was raised with good role models to look up to; my parents did a great job of loving me (tough love when necessary), which is really the most important thing. I'm excited to get out on the water with my dad and son, it will be a special moment to have three generations on the boat.

Johnnymoto wrote:
Like it has been said, replace ALL the wires, pins, and hardware !!! Also seal every gap ( 3M`s 5200 works wonderful )

I'm working through the last bits (shroud adjusters), and then essentially everything that isn't riveted in place will be new (I'll deal with that hardware this winter).

Johnnymoto wrote:
HAVE FUN !!!!!

That will be the easy part! ;)

I should just mention, my dad is very particular, and replaced most of the rigging every couple of years depending on use. Cosmetically the boat looks rough, and he never really cared about the appearance (hence the Marine-Tex patches on the hulls), but he left me a great foundation to work from, and it's been fun to go through the specifics with him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That will be so cool to have pops, and son aboard!
We will probably be up at Elk Lake tomorrow, Sunday kayaks are coming out.
Lets try to hook up soon! My 16 should be ready for a maiden voyage early next week! Waiting on a tramp and a couple other odds and ends.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just a little update, we've been out sailing a few times now, and so far no major surprises.

As you can see in the first picture I posted, the tie-downs used are less than ideal, so here's a solution I came up with that some others may benefit from.

Purchased four bolt hangers used in climbing applications:

Drilled out the holes to pass the 1/2" bolt that secure each casting the pylon through:

Installed on each pylon bolt so I have a nice anchor point to hook my tie downs to:

I'll post a picture with the straps on later, but it seems to be working great.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slick idea! May have to borrow that one. I have been using moto straps looped around the sidebars/corner castings to keep the straps off the hulls. Works good but a bit of a pain to get em routed.

So were you on Cultus Sunday afternoon? It was howling here at the house in La Pine! Had an awesome afternoon up there yesterday! I love my new boat!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can testify this ol boat hauls the mail!!!
Till the crew slides off the tramp! :lol:

Great meeting you yesterday! Lets go sailing soon!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Matt!

Great to meet you and Carol as well, I'm glad we happened to be at the ramp at the same time after trading off tacks throughout the day.

I can't believe you had the camera out right when we got overpowered, the timing was perfect! I'll blame it on my sailing partner, since he's the one that slid, even though it was my fault for sheeting on too soon, and for having a boat with bare side rails.

Speaking of slippery side rails, here are a few pics of the incredibly tedious process of stripping the old carpet and adhesive (sucks), prepping for new contact cement, and applying the new covering. I decided to go with Hydroturf EVA foam instead of carpet, since our water can be a little chilly, so sitting on wet carpet gets old.

Here's the side rail after stripping the carpet off:

Here's a close up of how bad it is:

And after spending two hours scraping with a razor blade, steel wool and acetone, here it is cleaned up and ready for new contact cement:

And finally here's what it looks like with the new EVA foam applied, including a cut-out for the trap wire bungees so hopefully they won't destroy the foam:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Something else I noticed this weekend when putting the boat away, it looks like the mast foot is a little loose. Here's a link to a quick video I shot:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/YgKyL1Peiok

It's only ever under compression due to the standing rigging and jib, so it doesn't seem like that should be an immediate issue. I'm planning on replacing it this winter, but is it something I should fix right away?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

skicrave wrote:
I'm planning on replacing it this winter, but is it something I should fix right away?

No need to replace the base if it's in good shape. Just drill the heads off the old rivets, punch the shafts through, and take a look at what's going on. Unless the base has been totally wrecked under there, just replace the two rivets (Monel or SS) and add one to the front. It's a fairly easy and quick job if you've got the right tools and supplies. I wouldn't put it off, but , if you do, be very careful when you step the mast up and down.....that's when the rivets may tear through...causing a lot worse problems.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it's worth it to just fix now and know it's not going to be a problem (which I already was the right answer).

I'll go searching, but it sounds like I need to invest in a good rivet gun, since I'll probably be replacing a fair amount this winter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

$18.99 Harbor Freight Special works like a champ!
http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty ... 66422.html
What ya need for stainless!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome, thanks Matt, I've got one on order!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next