Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello Susan, I too have gone from years of having Hobie 16's to recently acquiring a US 18 monohull, after having been out on it a few times I have come to these conclusions; the Hobies are very fast and exciting, light or heavy winds, stable and easy to get on from the water. The monohull is slower in the same winds, but has built in seats for the lower back, has lots of storage space, dryer, therefore sailing later in the season, very hard to climb aboard from the water, mast lighter and easier to handle, you can still lean over and trap out if setup for it and the boys like it as much as the Hobie. I know I'll be getting another Hobie, it's just in my blood, but having this 18', I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the fall colors well into October and November this season, you definately have to try out a monohull. I do warn you now, you're going to have to join a monohull sailing forum as most of these guys are hardcore cat owners and they're all going to say catamarans or bust! Enjoy sailing, no matter what you're on! Sailinthis. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Susan,

I own an H-16 which I bought new in 1985 and I own an 18' Cape Cod catboat (monohull) which has been in the family since 1972. Nine mph on a monohull is pretty optimistic. I too have hit about 18 to 20 mph on the H-16 with a gps but 6 or 7 mph on the monohull is about maximum. My catboat is actually pretty fast for a monohull and I have passed a lot of sloops. Set up time on a trailerable 19 to 20' monohull will be just as long as setting up the Hobie. My Cape Cod cat needs to be in a boat slip since it is not easy to set up each time I launch. You might consider monohull that you could keep in a slip and use when winds were lighter and then sail the Hobie when you get bored. In other words, don't sell the Hobie.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've had my h16 for, I think 6 years now... and I can honestly say that I love it and will likely keep it until I can no longer solo it... however, I would love to have something in slip or on a plug that I can use to "go places".. and to "entertain" on. I've taken people out on the Hobie and they have a blast, but it's a one at a time type of experience, where if I had a small mono, I could take a handful of people out on the water. Plus, having a motor to get in an out of harbor would be amazing!

I won't chastise you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like the monohull guys..

It is nice when out on the 16 and 'racing' friends casually it is interesting to pick "marks" which slowly move around the lake.

:mrgreen:

sorry... :oops:

but we do!! :D

I'll try and grow up someday.. I promise..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ronholm wrote:

I'll try and grow up someday.. I promise..

WHY?

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Barren wrote:
...something in slip or on a plug that I can use to "go places".. and to "entertain" on. I've taken people out on the Hobie and they have a blast, but it's a one at a time type of experience, where if I had a small mono, I could take a handful of people out on the water. Plus, having a motor to get in an out of harbor would be amazing!

Very well said. I too love my Hobie and doubt I will part with it unless it's to upgrade it. Having a single-hull will allow you many comforts that you just can't get from a beach cat though:
-Shade (from a bimini or inside the cabin)
-A head you can use while underway
-Multiple beds
-A fridge or ice chest that can carry food and/or drinks
-A stereo
-A stove and maybe an oven, too
-Storage space for whatever you may need
-Seats. Yes, seats... and more than just one extra seat.

Keep in mind, just like anything alse, you have to sacrifice comforts for speed. A Lamboghini only has 2 seats, and I don't think they recline much.

I have toyed with the idea of making a tow rope to pull the Hobie (with sails stowed) behind the single-hull and run the tow-rope through PVC pipe to prevent the cat from rear-ending the larger boat... kind of like pulling a dhingy.

People buy motorboats to travel to the funnest place to be. When you travel by sailboat, you're already there.