Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Repairing SX mast
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok, bought a used mast. Pretty heavy corrosion at diamond attachment. Have fitted a sleeve inside that goes from the seal plate above the diamonds to the base cap. Sleeve is a piece of 18 mast so perfect fit inside. Will be riveted in place and then all hardware riveted thru both. What am I not thinking about? Should I sleeve the outside as well? Corrosion between the two pieces of aluminum? Stress risers issues? I don't want to be honking along and the mast snap. My understanding is the diamonds are in vertical shear and the mast below the diamonds is in compression. Any engineers out there that can help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

71 views and not one response!!! Sleeve is in place and riveted. Cleaned corrosion with scotch brite. Filling holes with aluminum epoxy today and will install hardware after cure. Plan to set rigging and rework headplate this weekend. Will design and install spin turning block and bail next week. Should be ready to test first weekend of August. If all goes well will race at Ya Gotta Regatta Aug. 12 & 13. Portsmouth number should be the stated number for 18SX w/spin. No hits as I understand, the main is of comparible size and the chute is smaller. We'll see! Hope to stay with Tigers but my sailing ability may pose a problem.

Post subject: No replies?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

No replies as perhaps none have the experience to help this one... I don't really know myself. Sounds like the inner sleeve should do it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All went well with repair. Aluminum epoxy was easy to use and made a nice repair. Don't think it is as structurally sound as the manufacturer thinks. Much like bondo. Fitting the Tiger main was easier than I thought. Cut the hook off and drill out the first plate bolt to hang the twist shackle. The spin is way up the comptip, not happy about that. The main should hold it still, testing will tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ncmbm wrote:
All went well with repair. Aluminum epoxy was easy to use and made a nice repair. Don't think it is as structurally sound as the manufacturer thinks. Much like bondo. Fitting the Tiger main was easier than I thought. Cut the hook off and drill out the first plate bolt to hang the twist shackle. The spin is way up the comptip, not happy about that. The main should hold it still, testing will tell.

Have you a Tiger sail on your 18SX? If so, tell me more about your mods. All ppl I've been speaking to have said that Tiger sails does'nt fit H18 couse the mast is too short.

Regards
Tobias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tobias,
I am running a Tiger main and spin on my 18 magnum. I decided to get a SX mast rather than cut down the main. The attachment change was easy and the sail fits the 29' stick perfectly. It could be done on a 28' mast by cutting the sail down, I think I would cut the head rather than the foot. It would create a square top of similar size to the new Tiger STX sail. I was able to get the 29' stick close to home for a great price. I have rigged the spin for the 28' stick and it works perfectly. Any other questions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think you lost me here somewere....

I've got a H18SX 1988. Some ppl tell me this mast is to short to hoist a Tiger STX sail. You have managed to do this?

EDIT: My original SX sail is 800cm heigh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, you can run the STX sail on your mast. The SX mast is the same height as the Tiger. You have to change the head plate and thats it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That sounds awasome! Have you sailed with this configuration?

What is there to do with the head plate?

EDIT: I have now seen the hook system of the tiger main sail. I dont like hooking up the sail. I've removed the hook on my SX mast. I use a halyard of dyneema instead, works fine. Do you think this is possible with the tiger main too? Then I maybe dont have to change the mast head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With the amount of downhaul necessary to de-power the squaretop you must hook the sail. I run 8:1 now and am looking at going to 16:1. I wouldn't trust any halyard with the tension thats required. If you were using the hook with the flapper on it I understand your removing it. I thought the SX had the same hook as the comptip, no flapper. Easy to use if you rotate the mast to hook and disengage. I haven't sailed the Tiger main yet. This weekend will be the maiden voyage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm courious about how your Tiger-sail performed.

About the downhaul;
If you have got a 1:10 downhaul, and put ALL your weight on the line (100g) you have generated 1000kg downhaul (tension on the halyard). It doesent feel like thats a problem for a stretch-free dyneema-halyard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm still curious....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Had it out Saturday in flukey lake wind. Sometimes near 15kts others near 0kts. Guess thats why I don't like lake sailing. Anyway the boat felt light and fast in the flat water. Found the sail hard to read, only has tell-tales in the upper portion. Seemed whenever the back was happy the front was not. Found myself over sheeting and stalling the sail alot. Crew kept releasing the downhaul by accident and I would see the sail act up and notice it. The front edge seemed to be backwinding every once in a while. Overall I would say I like it, sure looks hot. May need a taller jib as I have a regular 18 jib on now. Need more time on it to really get used to it. Ran the spin several times and love it. Very fast with the Tiger sail, faster than with the dacron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So how about dimensions. Did the STX-main fit properly? Mast was not too short?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SX mast and Tiger mast are same height, fits fine. Cut the hook off and enlarge the first screw hole and voila! Does turn off some in strong air. The comp-tip has the aluminum track addition at the top, highly reccomended to keep luff in. Need higher diamond tension, 600lbs or so. I am still working thru this and learning as I go. Your SX jib should work better than my SE jib, taller and shorter foot. I did cut 12" off my boom to fit the Tiger foot. Set-up a 8:1 cascaded downhaul, same as on I-20. Used H14 tang and bail set-up for spin halyard, stock SX spin tang is too low. Downhaul brings the foot below the black band, not class legal but neither is the boat. Don't like the comp-tip, will most likely look for a solid mast next year. Tigers and Foxes were initially fitted with comp-tips in the states but gave problems, they are solid masts now. I think you will need the hook on your mast to hold the squaretop in the luff track, hook does more than just hold the sail up it also holds it in against the mast. With the dyneema running out of the turning block there is no pull toward the front off the mast, once the head gets loose the entire sail could pull out of the track.