Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's the link to the Harbor Freight website with the bed extender: http://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed- ... 45830.html
It is $70.00 and you can usually get a 20% off coupon that will bring it down to $56.00. My Hobbie Dealer sells the same extender for around $150 but gave me the headsup and said Harbor Freight sells the same extender for a fraction of the price.

The extender can also be switched so that the longest pole is set up vertically. This will enable the rack to extend even with the roof rack on a SUV/car/truck with a camper shell. Very simple, solid, and effective way of transporting your PA!

You will be amazed how easy it is to load your PA into your bed for a mere $56.00...no need for a cradle or PVC. If it makes you feel better you can add PVC to your bed but my Hobbie dealer said there was no need for the PVC and I have never had a problem without it! I would be interested to hear from others if PVC is really needed...and will start another post!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thinwater skinner wrote:
Bigkidneys wrote:
I have 3" PVC pipe that are spaced 11.5" apart center to center and they align perfectly along the scupper line. Tie them off from the handes to the tie down spots you should have on your bed and you should be good. Mount the PVC on some plywood and your gtg.

What is the length of the PVC pipes? 6 feet or longer? Thanks for reply.

I just bought two 10ft lengths as that is standard at Lowes. I measured the distance to space the PVC by turning over the hull and measuring from center to center of the scupper line. I chose 3" as it gave me some extra lift to ge my hull off the deck of my trailer but this can be done with 2" PVC as well. Used a Spade bit 1 1/4 to drill a hole through the top of the PVC to allow a socket through in order to attach the PVC to the 2x4 bunks on my trailer with lag bolts. Worked out great.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jims wrote:
Here's the link to the Harbor Freight website with the bed extender: http://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed- ... 45830.html
It is $70.00 and you can usually get a 20% off coupon that will bring it down to $56.00. My Hobbie Dealer sells the same extender for around $150 but gave me the headsup and said Harbor Freight sells the same extender for a fraction of the price.

The extender can also be switched so that the longest pole is set up vertically. This will enable the rack to extend even with the roof rack on a SUV/car/truck with a camper shell. Very simple, solid, and effective way of transporting your PA!

You will be amazed how easy it is to load your PA into your bed for a mere $56.00...no need for a cradle or PVC. If it makes you feel better you can add PVC to your bed but my Hobbie dealer said there was no need for the PVC and I have never had a problem without it! I would be interested to hear from others if PVC is really needed...and will start another post!

Picked mine up yesterday from Harbor Freight, also used the 20% coupon. Now to just load her up Friday night for a nice Saturday morning outing.