Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's a nice piece of custom work. Alas I'm no welder. I'm stuck with off-the-shelf.

So, anybody out there who's bought a Cheata in the last year or so... does it really and truly fit the Getaway's rear crossbar? No hacking/filing/improvising? And once on, it doesn't interfere with other stuff? etc.

Also opinions on install-it-yourself, vs have my local dealer do it?

thanks,
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Mark, I sent you a reply to your email, did you get it ok? if not it may be in your junk box, regards 'the ferret'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just got a Hobie Getaway with the Cheata mount and Torqeedo 1003. I sail it on Lake Michigan, and I find I have to turn the motor sideways to clear the tiller bar when the mount is in the UP position.
But the motor doesn’t sit very high; so when the lake is even a little rough, the skeg and prop keep hitting the water and the motor is lifted up, and dropped back down. I’m afraid this is going to damage something from the constant pounding.
Has anyone else had this problem? If so, did you find a solution?
Thanks!
Bob Peterson

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a followup-the owner of Cheeta mounts emailed me and invited me to phone him, so we chatted. Talk about great customer service! He had some very good advice for me.
I replaced the aluminum pin (which bent because of some heavy pounding) with a stainless bolt. I bungee the arm of the Cheeta down flat, and I use the Torqeedo's mount to hold the motor raised. I bungee the tiller of the motor to hold the motor horizontal. This gives enough clearance to prevent having the skeg hit waves and kick up. Only takes a few seconds for me to remove the tiller bungee and swivel the motor into the water.
I really like the Torqeedo motor-it's pricy, but not having to worry about gasoline and having it instantly turn on is worth it to me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi "the ferret"

I was wondering if I could buy one of your getaway motor mounts if you are still making them?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

doncmn wrote:
Hi "the ferret"

I was wondering if I could buy one of your getaway motor mounts if you are still making them?

Thanks

Here's some information about motor mounts you might find interesting:

Here's a link to the Cheata motor mount.
https://www.murrays.com/product/13-110/

I replaced my Cheata mount with a homemade one, designed by KeithB. It doesn't splash as much, it's much cheaper and I think it looks nicer than the Cheata. Sorry, but I already sold my Cheata mount.
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=57851

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use the Cheata with my Honda 2.3. It does fit onto the rear crossbar BUT it is easier to mount if you offset it from the centerline so you don't have to fiddle with the traveler and all that stuff there already. ALSO, when fitted the mount will pretty close to drown your motor if two people are aft (one person has to be aft to control the motor and steer). I "fixed" that by putting a taller mounting board instead of the one that comes with the Cheata (use bolts, not screws for safety). Finally, after a couple years of use, the original Cheata block swivel bent (it was aluminum); I contacted Cheata and he sent me a better stainless one. I do recommend you make one like Keith B. did (he has the parts list and everything posted here somewhere). Reason being that the Cheata base plate splashes water onto the head of the outboard...not an issue if your gas cap is sealed correctly, but...another reason is that you need one "HONKIN'" pop rivet tool to make those stainless pop rivets hold.

I haven't changed mine to Keith's design because I need the articulating arm since I don't demount the engine for trailering--instead I suspend the motor from the rear mast rest that I had welded to my trailer.

Just fyi, I used my Honda yesterday for probably the longest motoring I've done...the wind died with me 4 miles from home and trying to go against the current. Worked well and was stingy with gas, something I was surprised by.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II