Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The end caps for the posts going up into the scupper holes on my wheels fell out awhile ago. Recently I purchased a 3D printer so I though I'd make some new ones. Fit like a dream and help to safely guide the wheels into the scupper holes. I printed them in orange so I can see them down though the holes when fitting.

I've gooped these ones in and made them a slight interference fit too. They are made using ABS plastic. I'm sure there are more things I can use the 3D printer for on the kayak...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can you make a girlfriend? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That could be destructive if successful. She’d most likely want to sell all my toys and want to buy boring stuff like furniture and have me remove the oil stains off the driveway…

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They are certainly an amazing piece of kit. I use one at work and I'm still blown away at how useful it is.

I must admit, I've never thought about it for Hobie bits........Hmmmm

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Holy Smokes.

When I initially saw the title to this post: "3-D Printing Spare Parts" I said to myself, "What da @&%$*?... That's got to be some kind of mistake". So I passed it over,.... but then curiosity got the better of me.

That's incredible! I never knew machines like this even existed, or were available at this level (boy do I feel old :roll:. )
But you got one to "play with" - how did you do that? - how much was it?

Hummm... If my kids got me one for my Birthday they'd never have to worry about what kind of present to get for Dear-Ole-Dad ever again..., I'd be doing them a favor :lol: .
Oh boy, I could get in to some serious "kayak parts" trouble with one of these bad boys in my shop!

Cowsgomoo, do you want to move to Palm City Florida? Do you like oranges? We have some lovely beaches here and the weather and sailing is great year round :D .
By the way... He dosen't know it yet but my neighbors house is for sale :P .

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Think you can whip out some Railblaza Railmount spacers? We're going to need lots more of those.

oh - and rudder pins,.. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brilliant CGM! 8)
Ever since I saw it used in 'Jurassic Park' I've wanted one.
Are they now at a consumer level?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The "home" end of the 3D printer market has 2 general types. The DIY/open source type and the "off the shelf" type. I've selected an off-the-shelf UP! Plus printer. This type was reviewed in Silicon Chip magazine -
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_112546/article.html

The price has since plummeted from that quoted in the article. I paid under $1900 for mine. The advantage of the off the shelf types is that they are ready to go pretty much out of the box, whereas the DIY jobbies can take significant time to assemble and tune for quality printing. A guy at work is building one and I've printed him all the plastic parts which are available for download from the internet.

They are really most useful for rapid prototyping rather than final product. However depending on the final use you can make final products successfully. Not sure I'd use it for making rudder pins. Hobie put a lot of effort into getting the material right for the job and I'd rather trust their pins than untested printed ones. I'd certainly give noncritical items a go though.

The ABS plastic comes as filament on spools and is available in a range of colours. It's supposed to be relatively UV stable. You can also use PLA plastic which is a renewable resource from maize or corn starch. It dissolves in water however so may not really work well on a kayak...

See here for a 3D printed ball bearing (skip middle part of video)-
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOEbZ98J1Ks[/youtube]

Many existing objects can be downloaded and printed from here-
http://www.thingiverse.com/

Custom objects need to be designed in a 3D CAD package of some type. Google Sketchup is a free one that will work. The file needs to be saved as an STL file for import into the UP! printer software. Learning the CAD software can be a significant learning curve if you want to make your own stuff.

Last thing worth mentioning is that larger objects printed in high quality can take a while to print. Longest print I've done was 10 hours for custom extension tube for an optical gizmo a guy at work was building. Think he's looking at getting his own printer now....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There is also a program available from Autodesk ( full disclosure I work for 'em), called 123D Catch, that allows you to take photos of an object then it creates a 3d model file from it. I've been playing with it and it does work, but takes some fiddling.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:mrgreen: [url]Image[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:19 am 
Site Admin

3D printers have changed the course of Hobie Cat for sure... certainly allowed for throttle up! We have a couple and they are awesome for prototypes. The plastic is not strong, so things like rudder pins or parts requiring specific flex or strength are not possible. You can use them for fit and function and sometimes in real use, but they break easier than a properly injected nylon-fiber reinforced part.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Our works have just developed and commissioned a Titanium 3D printer. I have to get some parts manufactured within the next month so I'll let you all know the specs and take some shots of the results. We currently have the 3D plastic machine and the thought process in design is completely different. Some shapes that weren't possible using conventional machining processes are now a reality. ie: I'm currently working on an injector that has a 1mm round hole opening up into a 3.5mm x 2mm slot with fillets and then back into a 1.5mm round hole. Try knock'n that up on the lathe.

It's all pretty exciting.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What an interesting thread this is, I will be keen to see what people make with this technology.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And they print great Christmas decorations....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Loving this Thread, Cows you lucky bugger I so want one of those things.