Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stake out pole storage
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Does anyone have any creative ways to deal with stake out pole storage? Currently I just put it in the rod holders but this makes it kinda painful to quickly anchor when I find a "spot".
I'm thinking about putting some holders on the side of the kayak that just sort of loosely secure the pole then add some shock cord and a shock cord peg for securing the stake out pole.
That way I'll always have the stake out pole attached to the anchor trolly. When I need to stake out, I use one hand to pop the shock cord off the peg lift out the pole and anchor right there.

Want to get people's opinion before drilling holes into my $2500 kayak.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I riveted clips on the outside of the rails to hold my stake out pole. They hold nice and tight so no need to secure with bungee but depends on what clips you use. Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Green,
You have the part #/manufacturer for that part? I'm also thinking of moving the paddle holder to a similar position on the other side of the PA. The clip that comes with the PA12 is nice, but it does get in the way of rod storage.
I'm inclined to keep cumbersome items outside of the boat. The only thing I'm worried about is the line/hook getting caught up on all the things dangling from the boat...but right now the paddle is really getting in the way of me quickly storing my rod.

The rear rod holders are great, as long as you're not fishing an area with lots of mangroves. Once you do that, it's only a matter of time before the wind or current takes you too close to the mangrove line and then you get to spend 10 minutes trying to untangle your hook/line from the mangroves as your hull gets the scraping of a lifetime from the oysterbeds.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Interested in this also.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am not sure what yak you are using, but on the outback I use the paddle holder and bungie cord that is standard equipment. ON the PA 14 I also use the horizontal rod holder on the opposite side of the steering handle. Not the best way but fits in the budget and no extra holes in the yak. Good Luck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just bought some mounts to store the pole on the outside on 1 side and the paddle on the other side ......... hopefully they will also act as bumpers to keep the sides of the PA from rubbing on pilings and docks .........

Will hopefully install them this weekend ........ or next

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I mounted a Captain Dick's paddle holder on the side of the PA. They are very much like the paddle holders on the Revo and Outback. I put this on the same side as my anchor trolly and keep the SOP attached to the trolly. Several of the better SOP's don't float :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

gatorling wrote:
You have the part #/manufacturer for that part?

The ones I used I commandeered from a storage device that holds broom and mop handles upright. Sometimes you can find them at home centers or hardware stores but it's occasional. The other option is the clips YakAttack sells for the ParkNPole http://www.yakattack.us/Products/Products.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

try these ........ http://www.endroad.com/index.php/quick-fist-mounts.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You didn't state the diameter of your stake out pole, I have the Yak Attack pole and it's 3/4" diameter. I used the clips recommended in the previous post, but found them on Ebay a bit cheaper. I used two of the 1" "quick fist" clamps for my paddle and two for the stake out pole. For the stake out pole I mounted the clamps farther back on the PA-14 so the handle end was beside my seat. In the rear clamp I put a PVC 3/4 pipe connecter in the clamp - I had to sand out the interior ridge with a dremel, then painted it black to match the clamp. I only have to undo the forward clamp and slide the pole out of the PVC connector, easy and quick. But I'm not using the pole with an anchor trolly, I just stick it through a scupper.