Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I'm new to this - just bought a new Revo 11 after trying my friend's older Sport. My drive is making a clonk at the end of each pedal stroke. The cables are in adjustment and it seems that the clonk comes from play of the pedal pins in the holes.

Is this normal?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you bottom out the pedal stroke, you may hear a clonk. I try to adjust my pedal length setting so that I can't quite hit the end of the stroke.

Not saying this is necessarily your problem, but it's something to look at.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Murkeymonroe wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this - just bought a new Revo 11 after trying my friend's older Sport. My drive is making a clonk at the end of each pedal stroke. The cables are in adjustment and it seems that the clonk comes from play of the pedal pins in the holes.

Is this normal?

I am getting a clonk too in my Revo 11? It is not always there. I have tried varying my pedal stroke and that didn't seem to work. When fishing in shallow, clear waters this has got to spook the fish. Sound carries like crazy through water. I just checked the pins and I think you may be on to it. I have a fair amount of slop and definite noise. It is easy to check with the Mirage Drive removed. I wonder if I sometimes hold pressure against the holes during pedaling and that is why the sound is not always there? Is this a manufacturing problem? My Revo 11 is new. It seemed like it was very, very quiet until the clonk strikes?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's exactly what it is. Water pressure during the pedal strokes will "tighten up" the the looseness and quiet things up.

Quote:
I wonder if I sometimes hold pressure against the holes during pedaling and that is why the sound is not always there?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've experienced this in my Revo11, but usually only when really "sprinting" and trying to power through my pedal strokes. I thought maybe I was just applying too much torque, I tend to slow down if I hear that sound. I'll see if I notice it again this weekend when I go offshore.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the same problem on my 2010 revo.
When I held the blades between my legs and tried
to move the peddles I found that I did have slop
in the holes where the pins enter. I took it back
to the dealer and he changed it out on the spot.
I still have a little slop but I seem to have learned
how to peddle to avoid the clonk.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you don`t plan on adjusting the pedals, mabey you can spray some plasti-dip on it.http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It's definitely coming from free play where the pedal adjusting pins engage the holes on the scaled quadrant. We called the dealer we bought the Revo from a few weeks ago. He asked us to bring the drive in. We're doing that tomorrow. Update later when we know more.

Incidentally, we were at another Hobie dealer earlier today - two new Revos were there on display - one had the loose fit and clonk - the other fit nicely and was as smooth as butter.