Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was on a yak fishing forum where this just came up. I do some things these guys advise against. Can anyone comment on reality?

I put tennis balls on my wheel set to be nice to the scuppers. I have a new boat with the reinforcements and I drag my yak across and and half-mile graded roads and the like to get to put ins. I take care lifting the boat and putting in the wheels and plant my foot as I tip the boat onto the wheels.

I also lay my boat hull up in a pickup bed . . . and loop a cam strap through the holes to keep the boat in, but I don't crank on the cam strap. Just snug. And I don't torque the boat like one might on a roof rack leveraging against the holes.

Here's what was on the other forum:

Hobie Scupper hole cart use?

Are the scupper areas of the hobies prone to leaks? Pulls through the sand and over rougher terrain and driveways and what not seems like it would put stress on the scupper area. Just curious, I've got a 2010 Revo.

Answer >>>>>>>>>>>

Just make sure its all the way through most of the damage occurs when you are loading the kayak....also dont run straps through the scuppers holes when transporting

Answer >>>>>>>>>>>
Hobie began reinforcing their scupper holes within the last model year or so, but they also say it is mainly a user error problem. If you get the cart legs only partway in and roll the kayak upright, you put a lot of stress on the scupper tubes. Their advice is to fully insert the cart and use the lock pin before you put side force on the wheels. Best is to not roll the kayak at all, but pick it up by one end and lower it straight onto the wheels.

Rough terrain is also a potential problem, of course. Especially bad would be running it over potholes while towing a carted kayak behind a vehicle, I'd imagine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just so I understand are you walking it or towing it behind the truck on the cart? If walking than no issue at all, but towing it could very easily cause a problem.
As far as a strap through a scupper to hold it in the truck bed the comments are saying not to because people tend to rachet the straps so tight they can play a tune with it :shock: If you just snug it that will be fine.

The main issue is subjecting the scupper tubes to forces that are perpendicular to them which they cannot handle a lot of.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

For the record, I wrote the "Answer" pasted above. My point in the last paragraph is that bouncing a carted kayak down a rough surface is likely to be damaging, and such damage would be exacerbated if one towed the kayak rather than manually pulling it. I included the towing comment merely in case someone were contemplating it; it was not part of the original poster's question.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good points to not torque the plastic navy. Prudence is good.

Since I do a lot of .5 to 1 mile trail walks to get to launch points, the comments from the other yakkers made me pause and consider asking here on a Hobie forum about how much walkin' up and down hills on graded roads and bumping the scupper holes can handle.

Seems as long as it's normal rolling along, it may not be a big thing. But, other folks' experience is always worth a consideration.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The problem I see with the regular plug-in over long distances of uneven terrain is that there is no shock absorber system to absorb the 'bounce' every time the boat drops into a pit or rolls over a rock. The hull is going to absorb that shock. The tennis balls might help, but I don't see them absorbing much of that energy.

The new Trax 2 plug in cart with 'beach wheels' seems a step in the right direction. The low pressure inflatable wheels will conform to the uneven terrain without bouncing and creating a lot of shock trauma to the scuppers. I just picked mine up yesterday and there was none of the usual bounce over the concrete boat ramp that my regular cart subjects the boat to.

Keith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Instead of tennis balls, a piece of pool noodle works better at it has more shock support (i.e., more dense that the hollow tennis ball.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm a major pool noodle fan! Nice idea. 'Use 'em on the truck bed to scrape the hull a tad less.

I almost did the soft wheels, but read posts that some deflate or weren't as durable as the HD's. The HDs seemed like a dencent compromise, and I'm not on a lot of sand. Mostly trails off Palos Verdes and CA central coast. I wonder if you can swap in softies on the HD frame as needed?

Hmmm. "Pool noodles and tie wraps ... Cam straps and sun screen . . . These are some of my favorite things . . . " :D