Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Getting out onto the North Sea (UK) can sometimes be a bit tricky, and when I got my Hobie AI, I searched around for a video showing how people launch their AI's in the surf.

Having found a method that works for me, I thought I would make a quick video in case it helps anyone else in the same dilema.

This was a nice calm day, one of only a few we have had this year. Some fun sailing as well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om-o4EblrRI&feature=g-upl[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

When the water is warm or I am wearing a dry suit I prefer to wet launch. I stand in waist deep water. You can hold the boat into the waves. I just did this yesterday in 4 foot breaking waves. You can get your rudder, drive and center board set. When the waves are just right, jump in and go. The paddle method can be hectic if you have on shore winds and waves.

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Interesting Dogslife, will have to give that a try. Does the beach where you are shelve quite quickly, so you are soon in a good depth? Do you steady from within the ama and aka frame or behind the rear aka?

I guess what has put me off with that is fear of damaging the mirage drive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

would love to see this in some actual surf...I'm assuming that we would see all this in rapid succession?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great fun! What camera are you using? Great images!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

coachstevo wrote:
would love to see this in some actual surf...I'm assuming that we would see all this in rapid succession?

I will have to have a go when we get some surf again, been real calm lately.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tjcouch wrote:
Great fun! What camera are you using? Great images!

It is the original Kodak Playsport, had it a couple of years now and it seems to have lasted well, getting used most weeks. I think the reliability of these cameras is all down to how waterproof that actually are.

It is just set on the 720p but at 60 fps and I just used the supplied software, so really simple.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:

Surf landings are more difficult

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUCaZt9Wzso&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvQnvGKOZOY&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ouch! Surf landings certainly are rough and I have had my fair share of tip outs and dunkings coming back in in kayaks.

I tend to think of surf landings in the same way as people talk about landing a plane, where any one you can walk away from unhalmed is a good one :D

Certainly made a mess of your aka's, amazing the power of the sea. I do find using the rudder loose so it can flip up can help a lot keeping you square on, but anything can happen in the surf zone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've got the surf landings and launchings with a regular single hull mostly sussed- enough so that i'm not always in danger of getting pummeled. Its the tri-hull configuration that i am still trying to figure out. I just don't know the limits yet, and so am taking the easier two of the three...but soon i will have to branch out or my access is too restricted up here.

My three main beach launches have distinct characteristics:
1) a nasty shore break - this one isn't that hard as the shore break is about in waist or chest high water--so i can time it, and jump in/out.
2) a river channel of sorts, out through a series of breaks (usually no bigger than 4 ft or i don't try it). This one freaks me out more than seems dangerous. getting out is a matter of always moving forward and hoping you don't botch the timing and get soaked. Getting back in freaks me out, as i pedal and brake with a paddle to stay off the breaking waves. Luckily the water is deep enough that i can still pedal all the way into the river.
3) then there's a regular old surf break- a series of breakers on the outside, and white water inside. I haven't launched in the AI here yet, and am still trying to figure out how to work it. In the regular yak, you time it to ride just behind the breaking waves. Do i do the same on the AI? The wind is always at my back on the way in, so i could sail in under power?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Every break is a little different, but you are right - it makes sense to time the sets and catch the backs of the waves as long as you can. Usually the first 2-4 will be the larger clean out sets, with a lull after, so I try to actually ride the last one in.

You probably are used to turning on the wave and digging in your paddle with the monohulls, but on the tri you can't do this. You'll want to stay as square to the wave as you can and make any rudder changes as smoothly as possible. It gets VERY sensitive at high speed, and on an angle. Use the fins sparingly and keep them tucked until needed.

It's much easier to catch waves that travel WITH the wind so the sail can help. Unless I am "thrill" surfing, I keep the sail reefed about halfway and a slight dagger in the water. Having a lot of sail is great until it overpowers the rudder and begins to steer the boat. For that reason, you may need to adjust both the sheet and rudder as you surf.

For instance, as soon as one wave passes, you may want to sail sideways to the next one, on a fast beam or broad reach (to build up speed) and then turn smoothly towards shore, easing your sail and pedaling until you catch the next face...avoid twitching your rudder side to side. :shock:

As you depower, trim your sail again and use the fins to help you going in the right direction (straight toward the beach!!).

I would love to hear advice from other experienced wave riders... or watch more youtube beach crash videos. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks nohuhu...going to try some of that on the channel launch ( more forgiving I think if I fail!). Luckily the salmon haven't run off the other beach yet so I haven't been tempted to launch there fully loaded.
Will make sure to have the go pro running.

Btw- I'm visiting your neck of the woods over Thanksgiving's at waikaloa. Not sure if I will be cycling or trying to get out on the water but hear that plenty pupule (sp?) Kayaks rents an ai now?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hear that's the case. Would give Kelly a call. Maybe the Wildman will take you across the channel to Maui, if you ask nice..

That would be a youtube moment, and a great place to practice your surfing! :o

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The TransparentSea expedition was a group of mainly pro surfers who spent several weeks travelling down the East coast of Australia, beaching their AI's each night. They used to jump out and swim their boats in, holding onto the stern. They came in through all kinds of surf without mishap. I don't know if it would work with the extra weight of the TI.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

chrisj wrote:
The TransparentSea expedition was a group of mainly pro surfers who spent several weeks travelling down the East coast of Australia, beaching their AI's each night. They used to jump out and swim their boats in, holding onto the stern. They came in through all kinds of surf without mishap. I don't know if it would work with the extra weight of the TI.

Interesting idea, hadn't thought of doing that. Only worry would be getting caught in front of the AI with a wave behind it.
Did they push from the back?