Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mounting Board Support
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tend not to mount many things on my PA as I like to travel lite. The only thing I currently have mounted on the mount boards is my FF/GPS on the left side and a Ram tube rod holder on the right.

When fishing last week I noticed that everytime I had a strike while the rod was in the rod tube, that the mounting boards were very instable. I thought they were going to rip off. Even when I lightened my reel drag, there was far too much flex in the boards.

Has anyone done anything to add support to these boards via braces/blocks?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Surely I'm not the only one catching big fish and having this problem :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I haven't had that issue yet. I guess it depends on the type/size of fish that's hitting the rod while it's in a rod holder mounted on the boards. My rod holders are mounted in flush Scotty rod holders versus sitting high on any extensions. Not sure if that makes a big difference or not.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

These fish that were causing me the concern were 24-26" redfish. Fairly typical for this area. It may be more a function of the type rod holder I have mounted (Ram tube). I know the Scotty flush holders do sit down lower.

At any rate I am considering adding a 2x2x18 block underneath the mounting board. Then attach the block to the underside of the mounting board and to the side of the PA.

Just curious to see if anyone else has noticed this, especially with the Ram tube mount.

Jerry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

islandspeed2001 wrote:
These fish that were causing me the concern were 24-26" redfish. Fairly typical for this area. It may be more a function of the type rod holder I have mounted (Ram tube). I know the Scotty flush holders do sit down lower.

At any rate I am considering adding a 2x2x18 block underneath the mounting board. Then attach the block to the underside of the mounting board and to the side of the PA.

Just curious to see if anyone else has noticed this, especially with the Ram tube mount.

Jerry

Less holes = less problems. The side boards are very strong and should not be a problem in breaking. I would think the yak would turn over before the side boards break. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am trolling Lk Michigan with 8-1/2 & 9 ft rods, each in a Scotty rod holder on 1' vertical extensions that are surface mounted to the sidboards. I routinely use 8 &12 oz Topedo Divers to get lures down deep (60 - 200 ft). I have hooked and played a few 25+ lb Chinook salmon and never felt any instability in the boards. I am reluctant to use the same setup on my siderails, because there is too much rotational play in the rails for that kind of load.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I noticed Wade, a Hobie Team Member, has added wood to his sideboards. Find him at bigwatersedge.com website and he can explain why.

He catches alot of big Yellowtail and Seabass (50lb's), and most are trolling.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:45 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I have the same concerns about the mounting boards flexing when a respectable fish strikes. I am ordering a mounting track from YAKATTACK which mounts on the PRO ANGLER 12/14 side handles. The tracks allow you to use a RAM Ball and quickly adjust the position. I have got this track through my Hobie Dealer.

Tim

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Flexing does not equate to breaking. You could tie a line to your starboards and tow your PA around the lake. Our kayaks are not bolted down - they sit on water and move accordingly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:32 am 
Hobie Team Member

Nobody said anything about breaking...

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!