Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice needed...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking to buy a PA in the near future. I just dont know what a good roof rack I can use to carry the PA on my suv. I have a 2002 ford explorer with the factory roof rack but the crossbar has a weight limit of 100lbs. I'm thinking I would need to replace those crossbars that can withstand the weight of a PA. Can anyone give me any advice or suggest products for a roof rack for me I would appreciate it. I posted a similar post like this but I didn't know which forum it was. Sorry if you had to answer this twice. But anyway if anyone out there can help me out I would gladly be thankful...

Post subject: Re: Advice needed...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yakima makes some good products. My best advice is for you to contact a dealer like Austin Canoe and Kayak. They are great people to deal with and will gladly steer you in the right direction. Being new to this myself, I hesitate to pass along too much advice. Best of luck, and you will love your PA. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

By the way, if you look through this forum, you may find your answer. Some pretty smart folks with some pretty good ideas. Lots of posts regarding roof rack solutions. :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When thinking of purchasing a PA you might want to consider a small trailer rather than a roof rack. When you've been out all day and then have to lift the PA on top of the truck?? Just my experience. Easier to launch and put back on when a trailer is utilized.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with iceyak. For about the same amount of money, you can buy a new jet ski or geehnoe trailer (Magic Tilt MT 14900 @ $599). It is very easy to convert it for your PA. Plus, extremely easy to load/unload :!:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Something you may want to look into that is super cheap is a bed extender/hitch mount from Harbor Freight. Here's the website: http://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed- ... 45830.html Harborfreight often has 20% off coupons which brings it down to around $56.

It hooks into the hitch receiver on the back of your SUV or Truck. It can either be set up horizontally for a pickup bed or raised to work on an SUV/topper, etc. If you have a Yakima or other racks attached to your roof the hitch mount will give you a lot more length, stability, and support. If you are attaching to a roof you may want to add straps to each side of the hitch to give additional stability.

It is obviously tougher to load a PA on a roof rather than a pickup bed or trailer but not impossible. I would suggest viewing some of the Youtube videos to get ideas of how to load/unload them and mounts people are using.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yakima and Thule both make good roof racks...But...As others have stated, you can get a pretty good trailer for about the same cost. And speaking from experience using both roof rack and bed extender, I would recommend a trailer. If you went the roof rack route, getting the PA down would be much easier than having to put it back on the roof, especially after a long day of fishing. And if you launch from a boat ramp, it would be impossible to get the PA on the roof while on the ramp...So you'd need to use the scupper cart (more money) to tow the PA to flat ground where you can then load it on the roof...It can be a pain in the u-know-what. If I remember right, it cost about $700.00 for the Yakima roof rack, a showboat roller, and 4 landshark mount pads. I don't remember how much the scupper cart cost. It seems that it cost another $150.00. And it came with those cheap, small balloon tires so I had to spend more money to replace them with the heavy duty tiles that would support the PA's weight better. All-in-All it seems that I spent about $1000.00 for the whole setup. If I had known before, how many problems that I would run into with the roof rack system and the cost...I definitely would have bought a trailer. Even though you need to license the trailer, it would be worth it...Don't let me talk you out of the roof rack though...You just need to do some homework, like you are now before making your decision. Everything I've said is just my opinion from my personal experiences. It all works, but in the end its about cost vs convenience. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Get a trailer. You won't regret it. You can check my postings on the Harbor Freight trailer conversion I did for less than $400. A complete roof rack set up will cost nearly that much plus you have the risk of damage or injury from heaving a 135 boat on to the roof of your Exploder.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought my PA 12 couple of days ago and took it out for the first time yesterday. I have the Yakima roof rack and love it. Yes the PA is a beast but if done right while loading it shouldn't be a problem. The shop where I bought it from said you don't need any of the expensive attachments, aero saddles, showboat, hulley rollers etc. Just a good strap down to the cross bars should do it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Those must be some special crossbars not to leave a mark/dent on the hull?

I went with PVC and it's working out great so far.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Scion619 wrote:
I just bought my PA 12 couple of days ago and took it out for the first time yesterday. I have the Yakima roof rack and love it. Yes the PA is a beast but if done right while loading it shouldn't be a problem. The shop where I bought it from said you don't need any of the expensive attachments, aero saddles, showboat, hulley rollers etc. Just a good strap down to the cross bars should do it

Not to poke my nose where it is not wanted, but I would make sure to tie down the back and front of the yak to the car bumpers. If you got hit in the back the yak would break the roof rack and come off. Also if for come reason a quick twist of the car and the yak might also come loose too. Just my two cents worth for advise. Good Luck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree about the front/rear tie-downs. Have heard too many stories about the kayak rack coming off with the kayak mounted. Lots of pressure being applied to the bow of the kayak when going down the highway at 60-70 m.p.h.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi HL44,
How old are you?? I'm in my mid 60's and I am fortunate enough to have survived, injury and disease free so that I can still put 135lb over my head. But WHY should I when I don't have to!!?? My PA14 is an awkward package to be humping around and onto the roof of my vehicle at the end of a long (pleasant, but enervating) day of angling (especially when I am on my own, with no assistance available to me). When we are tired, we are more prone to injure ourselves. Why run that risk when it will impact directly on our ability to enjoy ourselves (angling)?? I have a small, light trailer much like ones from Harbour Freight which lets me transport my PA easily and without a struggle at the end of the day. This also allows me to wake the following morning fresh,(ache and injury-free) with pleasant memories of the previous day and ready to do it all again rather than having to recuperate. It would seem that we are faced with two choices and I am really not interested in taking the path of pain and potential injury when it is not a matter of life and death. BTW, a tie down both fore and aft is always a good policy, no matter what else you employ.
Enjoy your choice!!
Regards......

Last edited by Shimanoman on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thinwater skinner wrote:
Scion619 wrote:

Not to poke my nose where it is not wanted, but I would make sure to tie down the back and front of the yak to the car bumpers. If you got hit in the back the yak would break the roof rack and come off. Also if for come reason a quick twist of the car and the yak might also come loose too. Just my two cents worth for advise. Good Luck

Thanks for the advice I'm all new to this so any advice will be well appreciated!!! Thanks for everyone's input

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Scion619 wrote:

I'm curious...How do you get your PA loaded onto your Yakima roof rack. From the front or rear of your SUV? If you load it from the rear, how do you slide it over the rear hatch of the SUV without damaging the SUV or the PA? If you load it from the front of your SUV, how do you get across the hood without damaging the SUV?...I ask because I have the Yakima roof rack installed on my truck and know from experience that you'd be better off using a showboat, if it would work with your application (it might not work with your rack being so far forward) to protect the rear hatch area of your SUV and more importantly, YOUR BACK...And some kind of pad mounts (landsharks, hullyrollers, makos) to protect the PA's hull once you get it on the Roof Rack to keep the PA from deformation during transport.

I believe that your PA dealer misinformed you. If you continue to load your PA in the manner shown in your pic, ultimately...You will hurt yourself, or damage the SUV or PA loading or unloading it...And BTW...You DO need to secure the PA at the front and rear in addition to securing it from the sides...Sorry...I'm not trying to disrespect you or your dealer...I'd just hate to see you and Murphy (Murphy's Law) become best buds...Speaking from someone with past experience with Murphy...Or like someone who knows Allstate's MAYHEM all too well :wink: