Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I think I want a cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've been motorboating with friends to locations too remote to go with my 16. On the lake and river system I am on, a 30 foot sloop rig monohull would be ideal. It woud offer plenty of room for the family, motor to go through narrow channels and in no wind.

My dream boat would be a cruising catamaran like a Gemini 105, but that's outside my price range.

I can see myself doing the move in the next 5 years. I would keep my 16 to keep sailing nearby and get the adrenaline rush.

For the time being, I am dreaming and familiarizing myself with what's out there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same dream as you - only for me it's the 30 year plan :lol:

Even though years 1 through 25 will be the "get the wife on-board with the idea" part I'll still burn away hours and hours online looking through cruising cats etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let me know when you find a cruising cat 30 footer for under 50k, an old 26 farrier tri will still cost 50k, remember a 30 foot mono would be a fixed keel no going to shore and also spendy, and tough to trailer. I have had a couple Mac 25's and recommend that type of swing keel.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fixed keel will be perfect where I am. I have a waterfront seasonal lot in a campground where I spend most of the summer in our trailer. The lake is deep so fixed keel is not an issue. If I buy one, I won't trailer it either. I'll store it at the local marina in the winter, have them put it in the water in the spring and sail it upriver (120km) to the campsite and leave it on a mooring for the summer.

I will still dream about a cruising cat, but will end up with a fixed keel monohull. It does not help that I can see a Gemini 105 on the lake either sailing or on a mooring nearby on a regular basis. I passed him with my 16 last year, while it was easy, it took longer to overtake him than it takes to overtake a monohull.

I've been looking at some C&C and Hunter in the 27 to 31 feet range. I'd like an inboard diesel and still debating between wheel or tiller. I know the pros and cons of both, just can't decide. The decision will probably be made for me when I find the right boat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Farrier Tri...pick your size.

They're faster (significantly) than any cruising keel boat, plus more spacious, trailerable, and did I mention fast....

That would be my choice.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Farrier tri I would love, But for around 23k I think you can find a Macgregor 36, could be a fun toy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Macgregor 36 reminds me of the Stiletto 27. I like these boats, but prefer a traditional cruiser with dodger and bimini. I'll still have my 16 to play.

I missed my chance on an Hirondelle 23 last year for 3500$. It's now in Windsor/Detroit area for 10000$

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A friend of mine had a hirondelle 23, nice boat ,heavy but slow, I could smoke him on my 16.