Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm 'cat scratching' my head to find an original name for my Wave.
So far I've come up with 'Catatonic'. (yah I may be 'of years' but not my thing to advertise it, lmao)

Considering that I'm a Canuck, another one was 'Cat Scratch Beaver', complete with a side profile of a beaver face on the bows...thanks Mugrace72 for the shark tooth inspire on your hulls.

If your Cat is named that please let me know.

Your ideaz are also very welcomed.

Thanks
Tri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I call my Wave the "Bitty Kitty". Just because I used to sail a 16 and now am solo with this littler cat. No way demeaning - she's certainly the right choice, and by comparison, she is a bit of a Bitty little thing.

The 16 was the "Aristocat".... yeah, I know... but I was young.

... more often, it was "uh-oh" that was visible - painted on the underside of the hulls. Displayed when turtled.

And, of course, my ride is also named - an 09 JCW Mini Clubman named Rupert Marvolo.

And now I have no "I was a kid" excuse. But now I don't need one. I can do what I wanna.
NetraLee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cool name NetraLee.

Yah compared to the 16 or the Getaway this really is a cute little kitty.

I came up with another one that may work: It's a 2 part process:
1) Huge lettering on the Wave Bob on both sides: 'BOB' (stretched in Photoshop to contour the shape of the 'football')
2) Lettering on the Bows: "BOB Above" with a halo over the O in BOB and an upwards pointing arrow, hehehe.

No 'Bobs' will be harmed in this project. Any living reference to Bob or Robert are purely fictional without any reference to Bobs or Roberts alive or dead.

Tri

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah, I've lost a little respect for Bob... although, in fact, it is my sailing skill that deserved the hit. Anyway, the arrow idea made me think of a "this side up" sort of idea. heh heh. Jest in case we gets carried over...

NetraLee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My family owns a Butterfly sailboat. Fun lil mini scow. Anyways it's name is "Over Easy" and its upside down so when its turtled its right side up! :lol: It never fails to live up to its name!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey All
It seems that MAYBE BOB would be the better idea...
The Euro Fiberglas version of the Wave (Dragoon) does not have a football on top.

Are the Euros better sailors than North Americans on average, naw I doubt it.

However may I remind you all that the Wave is a Resort Beach Cat that has found numerous customers back home. In Europe if you climb a mountain, they expect you to buy rescue insurance in case of your own errors or simple that sheit happens. In the US it is more about liability. May be I should name BOB after my lawyer. He is good at what he does as long as I do not overstress him...lmao!

If a bigger Bob was to be mounted on top of the mast it would only cause more windage without keeping the boat from flipping over.

In my humble opinion, if any device can possibly save a turtle, it is a good thing for those times when sheit happens to ruin a perfect day of hard sailing.

Tri

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobiesrock wrote:
My family owns a Butterfly sailboat. Fun lil mini scow. Anyways it's name is "Over Easy" and its upside down so when its turtled its right side up! :lol: It never fails to live up to its name!

hey hobiesrock
One of my sincere interests is looking at how canal boats got through the many canals of Europe. Yup, scows were used with very low aspect sailing rigs, (plus hinges on the mast(s) to get through the tunnels and under bridges.

I have never sailed a scow as the hydrodynamics seem to be all off for me. But if it works for your family that is very cool.

Please also consider that the most amazing feats in seafaring history were done by a few daring folks in the South Pacific that used ingenious methods to shape a carved out log with outriggers to discover the most remote Islands on this Planet: Hawaii.

They learned long ago to use a Tri set up to insure their safety. We all may like the dual hull concept but maybe other hull shapes with different outriggers can achieve the next page in our need to explore this planet.

Cpt. Slocum was the first human to sail a flat bottomed modded coal barge to be the first to sail around the World on his own.

Good for all of us to think beyond the obvious box.
If the scow can do a 360, you bet, I truly hope it is Over Easy...

Tri

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Butterflys are cool....for a mono.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobiesrock wrote:
Butterflys are cool....for a mono.

WOW!
No kidding! That's a gorgeous boat (for a mono,) :wink:
Funny when one has never seen one, how different a picture one has in their head. .
Bests
Tri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My cousin pointed out that my little Bravo with the dual white hulls sticking out looked a bit like the Starship Enterprise but that wasn't nautical enough so he thought it should be the "Starfish Enterprise."

I don't really consider it being big enough to warrant a name but my wife and I do still refer to it as the Starfish Enterprise for fun some times.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Willy Flipit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As my signature shows, my boat's name is "Humuhumunukunukuapua'a" which is the state fish of Hawai'i. It's small and colorful, much like a Wave, and Hawaiians have sailed catamarans for thousands of years. Plus, I proposed to my wife on a beach on Kaua'i, the morning after we took a catamaran sailing excursion and saw a humuhumunukunukuapua'a while snorkeling.

I've already decided my next boat will be "Ish Kabibble".

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"