Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sailed and pedaled my Hobie 60 miles across the Scottish Highlands. It performed brilliantly. Short video of the trip here: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THYApuO1ACY&feature=channel&list=UL[/youtube]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lovely film. Thanks for posting.

Have you put this on "Song of the Paddle"? I don't remember seeing it.

I've been along the Great Glen by bus and car, but never yet on the water. One day...

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I posted it at the end of this monster thread, Mary, on Song of the Paddle: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ ... Expedition

Thanks for your kind words. The Great Glen by water really is something special.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the link, Waterword. Neat idea to sleep in a bivvy bag using the i12 as a mattress. For a moment I wondered if you could sleep aboard, moored in calm water. But I guess the problem is having to remove seat, drive, mast and gear, to make space for sleeping.

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just in case anyone else is interested, this is a wonderful short film by the BBC on the Caledonian Canal: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as-meSBcbY0[/youtube]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Mary,

I could hang the pedal drive and the dry bag over the side.I keep thinking about an 'overnighter on water' inside the bivvy, but I wonder whether it might be a bit risky. Not sure I'd be able to get out of the sleeping bag and bivvy if I fall overboard during the night. It's all quite snug and tight in those bags!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hope your bivy has a mozzie net :P

I walked through the highlands sleeping in a basic bag with no net. it was OK when the weather was cool and windy but when the sun came out so did the midges and without a net I could not leave the bivy's zip open for ventilation & had to decamp to a local hotel on several occasions after getting eaten alive :lol:

Anyway - fantastic trip!. I only got into Hobies since leaving the UK but if ever I pedal back there on my Hobie I plan to do the same trip (sleeping in my fancy new bivy bag).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

stobbo wrote:
Hope your bivy has a mozzie net.

Ha! Yeah, Stobbo. I made sure the bivvie had a decent midge proof net. We also decided to travel in May before the midge season set in. Great time of year to visit Scotland.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Magnificent video record of an outstanding trip. Thank you for posting and what an adventure it was. I was mesmerized with the scenery. A very enjoyable video start to finish and beautiful musical score.

Again Thank You for sharing your trip with everyone.

Revo