Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Will be picking up a new Getaway this Friday. Some questions for you fellow Getaway Captains.
Should I remove rudders and Hobie Bob before trailering?
Any shortcuts to set-up or disassemble boat for trailering?
How do you attach the Getaway to the trailer?
Do you use any quick pins on your Getaway?
I live in Pennsylvania. I plan to sail in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Virginia State Parks. Do I need to register the boat?
OK to clean the boat with an electric (approx 1750 psi) pressure washer?
Would the hulls be damaged if the boat is left on the trailer over a period of time during the summer or winter?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and recommendations!
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey there! Welcome to the club. Just bought my Getaway used last August. Not much experience but here it is for what it's worth:

Should I remove rudders and Hobie Bob before trailering? Rudders should be removed. The bob on top of the mast can stay attached. Just let it hang off the rear cross bar for trailering.

Any shortcuts to set-up or disassemble boat for trailering? The mast stepper III is awesome. Makes stepping the mast a one man job and much safer. Takes a little more time to rig up and disassemble though.

How do you attach the Getaway to the trailer? I used two 16' ratchet straps. One over the hulls at each roller. Also tie the front cross bar forward to the winch and aft to a trailer cross bar. Keeps the boat in place for braking or accelerating.

Do you use any quick pins on your Getaway? The only quick pin on my getaway is the main sail traveller and block for the main sheet.

I live in Pennsylvania. I plan to sail in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Virginia State Parks. Do I need to register the boat? Not sure about other states but in CT you only need to register a boat if it has a motor or if it is over 19.5 ft in length. The getaway is only 16.5 so no reg necessary. I did add a motor to make getting to and from the boat launches easier so I needed to reg the boat this year. Check you local DEP website for what you need.

OK to clean the boat with an electric (approx 1750 psi) pressure washer? Never done it but I would think it would be fine. I use spray nine and a garden hose.

Would the hulls be damaged if the boat is left on the trailer over a period of time during the summer or winter? Mine is on the trailer unless I'm using it. Seems to have survived the winter on the trailer fine. Just covered it to protect the tramps from UV and the weight of the snow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wouldn't trailer too far with the bob on the mast, It seems to put a lot of unnecessary load and bounce on the comp-tip joint. It beat mine up.

That's my 2 cents.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Where do you plan to sail in PA?
I sail my Getaway at Lake Marburg/Codorus State Park in Hanover PA
Great sailing lake! Deep water, plenty of wind and clean.

Good luck with your boat!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Congratulations on your new boat!

Definitely remove the rudders. I don't remove the Bob, and haven't run into problems.

With regard to attaching your boat to your trailer, I'm not sure what type of trailer you will be using. Mine didn't have a bow stop, so I started by adding one to the mast holder on the trailer. I then permanently mounted some ratchet straps to my trailer and use these to quickly attach the four corners of the Getaway.

I used a Mast Stepper III for awhile, but found it too slow (I only use it if a helper is not available).

Rigging the boat can be pretty fast if you only drive a short distance to launch it (e.g. campground to boat launch). In those cases, I leave the rudders on (lifted and locked), jib sheet and main sheet block attached, and don't worry too much about the shrouds (just make sure they don't drag on the ground). Then I drive real slow. Takes 15-20 minutes to raise the mast and finish setting up.

I find it much slower to rig/unrig if I'm trailering any distance, because I want to make sure everything is locked down tight. For example, I use ball and loop fasteners to secure the jib and shrouds to the mast, remove the rudders, secure the front bridles (don't want them bouncing around and damaging the front trampoline), etc. Takes me close to 45 minutes to rig and unrig.

The only place I plan to use a quick pin is to attach the main sheet block. I wouldn't use them on any rigging. I bought one with my boat (cost me $20 bucks) and then I lost it before I even used it once. So I'll only buy another once I figure out how to tie it to something.

I clean the boat with boat wash a sponge and a soft bristle brush. A power sprayer should be ok on the hulls. I think I would keep it away from the tramps though (they're really expensive).

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you all for your recommendations.

I purchased a quick pin for the main sheet/traveler, also some some upgraded RWO Safety/Cotter Rings (aka Ring Dings) from APS in Annapolis MD. Link:

http://www.apsltd.com/c-230-ClevisPinsQ ... Dings.aspx

We plan to sail at Lake Nockamixon in SE PA, Pt Pleasant NJ (my mom has a home there) and near the tip of DelMarVa/Chesapeake Bay (Kiptopeke State Park) this year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just returned from trailering my new 2011 Getaway from Cleveland, Ohio to Bloomington, Indiana and back - about 700 miles mostly on 65 mph interstates. Almost home, about 100 miles out from Cleveland, I heard a pop. I stopped at the next exit, and found that one of the two bracket pieces holding the bob on the mast had split at the bend. It appears that the constant wagging of the bob fatigued the metal at its weakest point. The wagging probably wasn't doing the mast any good either. The other piece, fortunately, was still holding. I undid the two bolts and put the bob in the car.

For long high speed trips from now on I'll take the time to undo the two bolts and put the bob in the car. It won't hurt the gas mileage either, and the bob won't get any more bugs on it.

Don

2011 Getaway "Happy Couple"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm on my second season with my 2011 Getaway, and I've discovered that the bracket and screw attachment of the Mama Bob to the Getaway mast is too weak for trailering routinely on suburban Cleveland streets, which usually have the potholes covered by the time sailing season starts. Last week, I discovered for the second time that one of the two metal bracket pieces was split at the bend in the metal, and a screw had backed part way out of the hole in the Bob despite the Loctite I had applied. From now on I will always remove the Bob from the bracket before ANY trailering. I would strongly recommend this be added to Hobie's trailering instructions. Unless a different method of attaching the Bob is designed, I suspect the Bob is just too much mass wiggling around for the parts as designed to hold. Even if the metal brackets were beefed up with fillets, I suspect the screws would still back out. This is a major safety concern, since I think a Mama Bob bouncing around on a highway might be heavy enough to go through a windshield and kill someone.

I'm also a little worried that it's not just trailering that's causing the problem, but it might be. I noticed the split brackets both times after days of light air sailing on Lake Erie chop, and the mast was rotating and swinging side to side pretty violently during those sails. It could be that this bracket design is not even up to riding out chop in light air, but I'll never know whether the light air chop or the trailering are the main cause of the problem. In any case removing the Bob every sail will allow me to inspect the bracket regularly. If you are a Getaway sailor who goes out in choppy conditions frequently, I'd make sure you bring down your mast and inspect the brackets and screws every four to five sails. But if you don't, you may be lucky and notice the screws raining down on the tramp before the Bob comes down with a sharp broken bracket edge aimed for your upturned face.

Don

2011 Getaway "Happy Couple"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I too have had a screw back out on the Bob. My boat is an 09 and I keep it in mast-up storage. My brackets were fine. Might just leave the bob off next time I take the mast down.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I put the bob on the truck end of the trailer. All the bouncing is on the back of the trailer, not the front.