Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know that cameras have been a hot topic in the past, and I've been happy using a Kodak PlaySport ZX3 camera for a while... (until an unfortunate Tubing incident where the waterproof door opened and the camera was ruined)

Anyways, I just picked up a GoPro camera for some of the real work that I do, and it has an option to have a WiFi remote control. It works flawlessly!

What you end up getting is a waterproof to 10 feet, remote control with 2 buttons. With those two buttons you can literally control the entire camera. But for ease of use when sailing, one button turns the camera on and off, and the second button turns the record function on and off. You even have the option of setting up the camera to instantly record as soon as it is turned on.

This means that you can sail for a long time, and hit record just when the gusts pick up. Less editing out of the boring parts, and more great footage. It will also prolong the life of the battery as you can turn the camera off and on at any time.

The remote has a velcro strap that can attach to your arm, so you wear it like a watch.

Unfortunately I won't be able to test in on the water in the next little while. We've got a baby due any day now. But if you're looking for something to put on your Christmas list. A GoPro camera with the Wifi backpack and remote might be the answer. (It's not a backpack for you, but the piece mounts on the back of the camera, which is why GoPro calls it a backpack)

More info here:
GoPro HERO2 camera: http://gopro.com/hd-hero2-cameras/
WiFi Backpack and remote: http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/wi-fi-bacpac-remote-combo/

The WiFi system will also interact with an iPhone, iPad, or Android device soon. They're launching an app this fall.

Oh, and if you're not technical, and this all sounds too complicated, it's not. The Wifi piece plugs into the back of the camera, and the Remote will automatically sync with it after you plug the USB cords into your computer and let the computer update the software.

After that. Turn the camera on, the wifi on, the remote on, and you're done.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

awesome! i've been waiting for that to come out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used these for the first time last Saturday, they worked pretty good, saved a lot of battery life and ended with a lot less wasted video time.

Here is the result:
https://vimeo.com/48342694
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfX4gvYCFdE&hd=1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MAKE SURE YOU MOD A CHIN STRAP FOR THE CAMERA!!!!!!!!!

.....or attach a catch line in case it slips off.

Mine fell in the drink in St Augustine the day after I bought it.

BTW.... I'm trying to join the club (see my other post) after a very highly addicting day on a 16' Cat (first time.... I'm an avid kayaker, though, and I own a Hobie mirage adventure, as well as two other yaks), and I can't get an email through to Fleet 111 home site.

I'm saving up now for a Cat, but in the meantime, I could pay for gas and lunch as well as help set up and breakdown for someone who doesn't have a helper on a day they want to cruise.....

You take me Catting, and I'll take you kayaking....

Is there any other way of getting info/joining besides the emails on the site?

Thanks,

Beau B.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Drift Cameras all have a remote start/stop. Camera can be left in standby mode (like putting a computer to sleep) and then awakened instantly when you want to record. No wifi needed.

Not a knock on the GoPro - I had one and it was fine. But after using the Drift I won't go back.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
The Drift Cameras all have a remote start/stop. Camera can be left in standby mode (like putting a computer to sleep) and then awakened instantly when you want to record. No wifi needed.

Not a knock on the GoPro - I had one and it was fine. But after using the Drift I won't go back.

There are certainly other good cameras out there, the Drift Camera being one of them. The thing that I liked about this setup, was that the remote can be used from up to 600' away, which means that you can place it absolutely anywhere on your boat, and you'll have all of the controls at your fingertips. The range also has some benefit for the work that I do.

I looked at a variety of cameras, but the GoPro, at this point, has a much more extensive range of accessories that are useful to me.

If you've already got a GoPro, it's something that might make sense as an add on instead of replacing the camera. Click, click, click and you're ready to go. Much simpler than I thought it would be.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been using my GoPro all summer on my Getaway. Have mounted it in a couple of different locations. First I tried on the tiller bar which is great to see the front of the boat but you get a lot of video of the back of our legs. The next spot was on each side of the hulls on the bow. This is probably the best location but it is a bit scary when the camera is on the leeward side and sometimes is running underwater at 10 to 20 knots. I also rigged a mount below the jib. Check out this video I made. The camera was rigged below the jib and did great right up to the point that we pitch-poled. I thought I lost it but it stayed on. Let me know what you think. This was shot in June 2012 about .5 miles off of the beach in NJ.

http://youtu.be/oGAgB0Uw8UY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

the getaway does not have a boom? Or is it just me?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You are correct. NO boom on a Getaway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

very interesting!!