Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wondering if there are any changes planned for the 2013 outback compared to the 2012?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a 2012 Outback and asked the dealer the same question. I'm surprised Hobie hasn't listed any changes on their site. I did find some differences here: http://www.kayakshed.com/hobie-kayaks/h ... QgodWwwANw

The Kayakshed site shows a different picture of the "Olive" Outback and the other colors. It looks like they moved the rear hatch forward if you compare olive with different colors. Also some changes to the area behind the seat. I really don't know if the "Olive" boat is an older or newer model though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's interesting. A dealer near me thought there was a change with the center hatch, something about a rectangular insert. He wasn't too clear on the details. With the more forward rear hatch in the image of the olive, I wonder if the live well would still fit? I can't imagine Hobie would engineer out the use of their popular live well, especially in the Outback.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can think of lots of reasons not to have moved the hatch forward and the live bait well is just one of them. I love all that open space behind me and wonder how that rear hatch would not be leak prone positioned down there. Maybe someone from Hobie can chime in and enlighten us?

Maybe marketing decided to make sure all of the 2012's are depleted before officially announcing the changes.....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking for a 2013 Outback to replace my '11 Outback. If Hobie hasnt incorporated the transducer recess in the bottom of the hull, then I may look elsewhere. Which is not something I wanna do :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:51 am 
Site Admin

We have the Lowrance ready system only in the PA 12 and 2013 PA 14. The latest Outbacks will have a flat area in the center hatch location, so a rectangular hatch could be installed. Access is a bit difficult as you have to spread your legs to open it.

The photo on the kayak shed site is a VERY old version (sand color). The cargo area was not changed from last year, we have not moved the twist and seal hatch forward.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt! I appreciate the good info.

mmiller wrote:
We have the Lowrance ready system only in the PA 12 and 2013 PA 14. The latest Outbacks will have a flat area in the center hatch location, so a rectangular hatch could be installed. Access is a bit difficult as you have to spread your legs to open it.

The photo on the kayak shed site is a VERY old version (sand color). The cargo area was not changed from last year, we have not moved the twist and seal hatch forward.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I saw the picture of the rectangular hatch option I wondered about being able to open it. You would need to spread your legs pretty far apart I would guess. Old guys aren't as flexible as you young flat belly's :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,

Any new enhancements to the Outback hull in terms of speed, agility, and the wet ride from bouncing on waves?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, it's called the Revolution. :wink:

DoubleOSeven wrote:
Matt,

Any new enhancements to the Outback hull in terms of speed, agility, and the wet ride from bouncing on waves?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:02 am 
Site Admin

No hull changes were made.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

islandspeed2001 wrote:
When I saw the picture of the rectangular hatch option I wondered about being able to open it. You would need to spread your legs pretty far apart I would guess. Old guys aren't as flexible as you young flat belly's :mrgreen:

Unless Hobie altered the rectangular hatch to start narrow closest to the user and expand it outward at the farthest points so there wouldn't be an issue opening it.

Just my idea