Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help... Cracks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm in contact with my local Hobie dealer to check on warranty for this, but would still like to fix it in the meantime. Initially, I was considering welding the cracks, but when I removed the seat, I noticed two things... a second crack on the port side and that I can't seem to find a way to get the starboard side crack closed enough to weld it.

I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of questions....

1. Why are these cracks forming? It doesn't appear to be from downward pressure of sitting on the seat. It is possibly from using a wheeleez cart with a strap running across the boat approximately at this position. The crack on the starboard side will widen if I squeeze the gunwales.

2. What do you think is the best method to attempt a repair on this? Plastic welding on the port side seems feasible, but I'm a bit lost on what to do with the gap on the starboard side. I was hoping to re-enforce both sides by applying G-flex and fiberglass mesh on the bottom of both sides with some closed cell foam to give it some structure.

You can find the pictures here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86350057@N04/

Post subject: Re: Help... Cracks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would try to diagnose the cause of the cracks before I attempted a repair. Otherwise they will crack again. Could those cracks be caused during transport? From the pictures I would guess that too much downward force had been applied to the bow and stern.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the reply. I am in total agreement, figuring out why these cracks appeared is very important. That said, I'm don't think it's downward pressure of the bow and stern. I only ever use a bowline in transport, and only cinch it snugly, never crank it down.

As I mentioned in the original post, I use a Wheeleez cart with it which requires a strap over the top. It is NOT a turn-buckel tension strap, it is a simple friction strap (the type that comes with the cart). I've been told by more than one person that this you shouldn't be able to cinch it down hard enough for it to do damage. That being said, I have always consciously tried not to over tighten this strap, and also loosen it if I must leave it on the cart, in the sun for more than 20 minutes or so (infrequently).

Given the symmetry o the cracks, I am leaning towards inward pressure of the gunwales. Has anyone had a similar problem to this?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had cracks basically in the same area....turned to my dealer and they initiated a warranty claim and I picked up my NEW hull on Saturday. There has been a problem with that and they stand behind the product as you would expect them to! Again great company with a great product!!!

Contact your dealer.......

BTW...my yak has only been on the Hobie cart about 3 times fyi....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for your reply. I've already contacted my dealer. Just trying to find a way to fix it in the meantime. The fish are starting to bite in our area.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

turtle2 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I've already contacted my dealer. Just trying to find a way to fix it in the meantime. The fish are starting to bite in our area.

Understand....when mine happened I was pre-fishing the day before our club's big tournament. I carry a product called Hippo patch which I cut to fit and pressed in place and fished the next day in our tournament....did not leak! I also installed the drain plugs under the seat area to further eliminate water coming into that area.

I keep that product in both of my kayaks for just such a situation!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Folks,

I have noticed that there are some similarities with these failures:

1. The user was 200+ lbs.
2. The location of the cracks were in the seat (mid-length) area. (Although
there was one in the rudder area).
3. The PA was used 6+ hours on a regular basis.

It seems that the failure is due to the PA flexing resulting in structural fatigue during use. To further narrow the causes down, here are some further questions:

1. What was the temperature of the water?
2. How rough was the water?
3. Was there heavy cargo/accessories loaded in the front and rear or not?
4. While peddling the Mirage Drive, are there periodic stresses put on the seat
and drive mounts?

I hope there were some postmortem analyses done on the returned PAs followed by an actual stress to failure test of a new PA.

That's my $0.02 worth.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys first post !
I have been thinking of buying a PA.14 BUT I've seen 3 PA14 with cracks on the port side just behind the seat . These cracks are on the deck ,not the hull
Hobie have replaced the hulls ( well done Hobie)
But why are the decks cracking ????
Are the PA 12 cracking ?
Inspecting the hulls the thickness of the hull is NOT consistent.. Some areas it is thick 3/16" and other areas almost paper thin ?
I'm sure Hobie want a uniform thickness throughout the kayak ?
I dont think that Hobie vary the thickness ,maybe with with the complicated hull mould AND trying to have a light weight hull .they only use a limited amount of plastic raw material .
I wonder if Hobie will be willing to add ,more plastic to make thicker heavy MORE DURABLE hull as especial order ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very happy to report that Hobie covered the cracks under warranty. I can confidently say that I'll only ever buy Hobie Kayaks anymore. These are great boats, built by a great company with a great warranty program. Even after having a Hobie for months and appreciating the design, I was still questioning whether these boats were worth the extra green. I'm totally convinced that they are now and will highly recommend them to everyone who might ask. They cost more because they're worth more.

Thank you Hobie!