Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First time out in my PA12. Went out to La Jolla for 9 hrs and my legs and arse were really hurting. Feels like I need some padding on the lower port of the seat filling the gap area. Maybe cause my legs are short , can't set the drive lower than 3 cause my heels keep hitting the hull. Lumbar was tightened all the way.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keep adjusting the lower and upper seat angle until you find the "sweet spot".

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have not been out for 9 hours straight, but I agree with islandspeed. It took me a while but I found a sweet spot - actually two sweet spots - one in the lower seating position and one in the upper position. Once I have the seat dialed in, then I find the seat very comfortable.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm finding that the ability to change positions throughout the day helps cut down one the end of the day aches.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You're kidding, right? If you cant find comfort in this seat, I doubt you'll find comfort in any seat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Comfort is defined by the individual and each one's physical build, etc. What's comfortable for one might not ever be comfortable for another. Just my thoughts...

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same problem. It's a great seat, that's the main reason I went with the PA over the Outback. But when fishing all day, even the great seat on the PA 12 gets uncomfortable. I fixed the problem by adding an Airex balance pad to sit on, and a Obus Forme Ultra Backrest. The backrest straps on, and I attach the balance pad with some large velcro straps. I can fish all day with no problem now. Here are some links.
http://www.amazon.com/Airex-MATBAL-Bala ... alance+pad
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QL ... 06_s00_i00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

it takes a few minutes of adjusting the settings but it is by far the most comfortable seat I have ever used. For reference I am 6'1 195lbs and I have had much larger people in it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the seat is causing your butt to hurt, chances are that you don't have the seat bottom adjusted properly. Make sure the front of the seat bottom touches/supports your legs. If all your weight is on your butt, it's gonna hurt.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My butt has all the natural padding I need and then some. About the heels hitting the deck, I found that I do not like to put my feet in the pedal straps. I found that having the center of my foot on the center of the pedal is much more comfortable for me. I am considering removing the sraps but right now I just put my feet on top of the straps as if they were not there. Just an suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Problem solved! No modification necessary.

I have the same problem of my rear becoming numb. I had to add an icomfort air cushion to replace the stock gel pads on the Hobie Mirage kayaks. With the air cushion, I could go all day.

I didn't want to modify the Vantage seat by building a pillow case contraption with the air cushion and then try to anchor the contraption to the seat so I thought about just sitting with the cushion laying on top, but then if I ever dump the kayak, I would have to chase the cushion floating downstream.

I discovered that Hobie, knowingly or unknowingly, took care of this for us. Please see the following youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmf5HEm6RII

No modification to the seat. Buy a Thermarest lite self-inflating air cushion and slip it in under the mesh seating surface. On the very bottom, there is tight vinyl which essentially causes a hard seating surface. Problem solved! I bought the Thermarest lite on Amazon for $27. It's 15in wide. Before you purchase something else, make sure it'll fit in the pocket under the seat, also make sure the material covering the cushion will dry fast. I have a 2014 Pro Angler, and I have no idea if this mod for the Vantage seat will work for years prior or years after.