Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys,

Can anyone out there help me?

I have ordered an AI (trailer) cradle for my roof rack but just found out that the amas don't fit on the AI cradle as well as they do on the TI cradle since apparently there is no provision for them on the back one of the AI set.

I can change my order to a TI but wondered about the fit on the profile.

I have a Toyota Landcruiser Prado with factory fitted side rails and the maximum measurement that I can get from centre to centre between front and rear bars is 40 inches (1150mm). I know that the recommended distance is supposed to be 60" but wondered if the profile of the AI fitted the TI cradle at this distance. As I don't have either cradle yet I can't decide whether to change my order.

If some caring AI owner has the information about this, I would really appreciate it as I am trying to develop the best possible solution for transporting my AI.

Cheers

Silky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Silky,
I've transported AI's successfully on a trailer using the Rhino kayak holders with the rear slider. The AI fits well on these as the ama rest nicely on the rear bar. My bars are 130cm (upper) and 139cm (lower) apart. You'll get some idea from the pics in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=11063&start=15

I have a Prado and have transported it the same way on Rola bars/Rhino holders but only as an adventure, not as an assembled AI. I can't imagine lifting an AI onto the Prado roof. What worked best when car topping the AI was to open the rear door, slide the hull onto the rear bumper, then add a small section of carpet to the roof, pick the hull up resting it on the carpet and then slide the hull into the kayak holders. My Prado is the earlier model with gutters and my racks are further apart than yours. I used to carry the ama inside the Prado with the passenger seats reclined.
My trailer set up now is TI in cradles with the AI above it on the Rhino holders.I can see if the AI will fit on the TI cradles OK I'll report back in the next couple of days.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, if you could guesstimate how the AI would sit on the TI cradles, spaced 38-40" apart, that would be valuable information. This would be a typical cartop spread.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The bottom of an AI and of a TI hull are very different. The TI is mostly flat, but on the AI over 1/2 of the bottom area (center) is quite curved in comparison. It's the reason I choose not to use Hobie cradles on my trailer, but instead padded the whole thing so I can handle any combinations (even at times 3 AI hulls).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Silky,
I've just tried the AI on the TI cradles and it doesn't fit -if you have the AI fully assembled. The ama sit on the cradles OK but they are supporting the hull at the rear lifting it clear of the cradle. The AI hull by itself fits OK as the centre hull 'lobe' is a similar dimension to the TI but as KB reported the two outer lobes are not supported at all. I'll post some pics later tonight when I have a bit more time.
I'm not real sure of what you are trying to achieve with the TI cradles? Is it full ama support on the rack? The only way that would work would be to carry the AI disassembled. The Rhino kayak holders I use on the AI achieve the same thing as the Hobie AI cradles and are a bit cheaper. At the time I got them the AI cradles were $440 a set and the Rhino holders were $150. Now the Hobie cradles are around $200 so price isn't such a factor but the Rhino's do support the hull OK on the outer lobes and allow the ama to rest on the rear rack. I've had no problems with them in 4 years of use. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with your assessment of the Rhinos. A better solution.

Silky6 and I were interested in learning if a hobie cradle set (AI or TI) could be adapted for car topping.

They are both designed for mounting on trailers (w/ assembled boats) and broader separation, but would be great additions to a Thule rack if the contours were right to support separate hulls and Amas.

Similar to Slaughters innovation:

I guess it's not to be, but would still like to see the photos. Thanks, Mate.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No worries Nohuhu! :wink:
Here is the fully assembled AI sitting on the TI cradles. It's not a bad fit at the front:

....but note how the ama are holding the hull clear of the cradle at the rear:

To answer your distance apart question the TI cradles (here I'm using my dolly cart on the inverted hull) fit the AI's central hull lobe OK from the mirage drive well:

...to just aft of the rear scuppers- a distance of between 3'3" to 4' 3" or so:

So if you want to carry the AI disassembled it would be possible using the TI cradles. I would be adding a bit of packing so that the outer hull lobes were better supported, similar to Slaughters mod. Just remember his poor kids are now without their boogie boards! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys,

Did you know that Hobie were working towards a standardized AI and TI cradle.

To clarify my point I don't expect that the cradle will be fully functional with amas attached. My point about that was that I wanted to get out of the water quickly, Throw the kayak up on the roof. Toss a strap over and get out of the boat ramp or off the beach pronto. The rigamarole of trying to dismantle the AI stow away all sorts of extras into ill-fitting bags just doesn't turn me on. So I wanted a cradle that would accommodate the amas and all - hence the interest in the TI cradle.

If all I have to do is to get the AI up on the roof then releasing the bunjees so that the amas sit OK then I am happy as it will get me back to the caravan park safely and I can unload at my leisure.

When I travel distances however I do want a cradle that the amas (without the akas attached) will sit into nicely and the hull will be snug. This was the reason for my question about whether the TI cradle would fit the profile of the AI hull at a distance of 40 inches. I have been assured that it should go close enough by my Hobie dealer, so with some extra padding a la Nohuhu's picture, it should be the perfect solution. I don't have any notions about trying to carry the amas attached as this would be inviting problems with rubbing and abrasions.

As for the loading I believe the Boat Hoist Strongarm is a great solution. This will allow me to pick up the heavier AI (with akas and amas attached) and lift it onto the wide strongarm cradle. A simple push and it will slide up onto the cradles. These should stabilise the kayak in strong winds enough for me to lash it down safely enough to get mobile.

Hopefully explains any misconceptions. I will post the solution when I get it all sorted.

Cheers

Silky