Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wake riding
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I got some poor fisherman to give me a couple of wake rides while taking some pictures so you all can see what it's like. If you're using the Adventure, you should have Turbofins and the large sailing rudder. These aren't the greatest pics, but you'll get the idea.

In this first picture, we're getting warmed up:

Here, there's a little more action:

And finally, we're into some pretty good wake. Here I'm in a trough, about to get picked up by the next swell. It looks flat in the picture, but notice the aft section, including the rear hatch, is submerged. You can also see that the Adventure is cutting a pretty good wake of its own. In case you're wondering, this is not a dry sport! Yeehaw!! :D

Post subject: Nice shots.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cool action shots. Who took the pics?

How much water did you take in for having the stern submerged like that? My Outback takes on water only when I have it loaded up, and the only thing I can think of that's different then when I usually take it out is that the rudder lines might spend more time under water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:47 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Nice pics!

What's the black object on the port side?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would guess it's his paddle. Looks big in the picture, but that's the right location and shape!

Post subject: Re: Nice shots.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:12 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Ictalurus wrote:
Cool action shots. Who took the pics?
The gentlemen pictured kindly provided the wakes and the pics. The camera was an old digital Canon A-75 (3 MP). I did a little cropping and editing to bring the boat in closer.
Quote:
How much water did you take in for having the stern submerged like that? My Outback takes on water only when I have it loaded up, and the only thing I can think of that's different then when I usually take it out is that the rudder lines might spend more time under water.
Ususlly a cup or less. I agree that it probably comes in through the rudder lines. Sometimes the wake washes over the bow -- the front hatch may take on a little also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:28 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

AlohaDan wrote:
What's the black object on the port side?
Ictalurus is correct -- that shark fin look-alike is a only a paddle blade. I believe right behind me the aft blade can be seen creating its own little burble. The water distorts the image a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:17 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Here's a pic of wake riding with the Revolution. It's not the greatest shot, but at least shows a different perspective.

The Revolution was easier to control in the wakes than the Adventure because it turns better and is shorter (less likely to nose in). It did a great job!

The wife and I caught our first wakes with the Tandem/Oasis today. I was surprised how easily we caught them with our combined weight (I had Turbofins). Moderate length combined with the older hull design and strong acceleration (with 2) seemed to facilitate the hook up. Once on, she kept complaining about losing traction with her pedals-- I guess enough of the bow stuck out that the forward drive was just swatting water! We both had wet seats, but fun rides. I think she's addicted!8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WTG RR,
Looks like a blast! Seems like you guys must now be about ready to join Matt Miller and try some good ole SoCal kayak surfing--except that I thiink I would rather try that with the Revo than the BigA! :D