Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA14 New seat upgrades?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got my first ProAngler 14, its a used 2010 model, and I want to upgrade the seat to the new configuration seat, has anyone heard of this being an option yet, or if its in the works?

Thanks
Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:30 am 
Site Admin

There is currently no upgrade possible. We have not come up with a base that can adapt the new seat to an older Pro Angler 14.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The old seat is cool. Newer is not always better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just did a seat modification to mine, installed one of the adjustable slides with a release lever to adjust. Made a big difference, made it easier to get in and out, and to change leg position without adjusting the drive. Did change the center of gravity a little, if you decide to check it out do a search on here for pics, get the newer model it has a longer adjustment handle.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

new seat sucks IMO...

I can't sit sideways and dangle my feet in the water!

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

squidder 329 wrote:
I just did a seat modification to mine, installed one of the adjustable slides with a release lever to adjust. Made a big difference, made it easier to get in and out, and to change leg position without adjusting the drive. Did change the center of gravity a little, if you decide to check it out do a search on here for pics, get the newer model it has a longer adjustment handle.

yeah i did the same because I go BTB and the adjustable adaptor raised my seat by 2 inchs and its really badass to be able to access front compartment without hitting seat. Awesome investment from Bass Proshop.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thrashie wrote:
new seat sucks IMO...

I can't sit sideways and dangle my feet in the water!

DAMN dude I never thought about that! That really would limit me into some really uncomfortable positions fighting some 30-40 pound kings. Great job man. that lower lumbar supporter is for the birds now. GREAT JOB for enlightning me on that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you do get a new seat, how will you deal with your steering knob assembly??

Regards...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote]importantly and the largest contributor to increased cost... Vantage seating. (Fyi... the seat alone is priced at $560.00 in our 2013 parts price list). Large [quote]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

An observation. The new 12 and the new chair in the upper position I've seen where it raises your center of gravity and in turn a better chance to roll. So now that same chair is going to the new years 14 and it will do the same raise your center. I like the current old design and find it very comfortable. I made it more useful by adding the seat slide.

Another idea. If you do like the new seat design why not just remove the existing seat and make you own mounting board that you can use the existing mounting locations and mount beach low profile chair. You can make the mounting board of different thickness to raise the chair to your likings.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hobiekey wrote:
I just got my first ProAngler 14, its a used 2010 model, and I want to upgrade the seat to the new configuration seat, has anyone heard of this being an option yet, or if its in the works?

Thanks
Patrick

I think you should try out the old seat first to see if its worth the upgrade. I think the old seat is very comfortable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I pick up my new angler this weekend.Rushed to put a deposit on a 2012,didn't want the new seat either.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I installed this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXXAQ/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00 seat in my pro angler without any modification (to a 2010 pro angler) other than picking up some longer screws. It sits higher, has a smaller profile and is pretty comfortable (for me). I can access the tackle hatch much easier than before. Image

I signed up to get the amazon credit card to save $30 off and it ended up costing me $15. Got the stainless screws at west marine for a couple of bucks. Took all of 3 minutes to install.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Megaweapon: Glad that cushioned boat seat worked out for you. I installed a similar seat from Bass Pro Shop and found that the tilt of the PA seat frame made the seat tilt back too far. The angle of the back is not adjustable on those boat seats. Also found the seat a bit narrow, so I went back to the original Gen 1 seat on my 2010 PA14.

I'm not sold on the new vantage seating. I think the center of gravity is a bit too high and don't like the arm rests as they restrict you from sitting sideways or rotating around to get to the back deck. I get in my PA by backing up to it at the side rails and lowering my bum in the seat. Couldn't do that with the vantage arm rests in the way.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have to agree that I like my 2012 seat more than the Vantage seat. I like the new seat in that it's very adjustable and I can raise and lower the height but it definitley has it's disadvantages! When fishing in high winds with the wind hitting the stern quarter my Pro Angler has a tendancy to become very hard to steer. I use to fight this by pedalling hard and counter steering but it often runs me down a bank or oyster rake too quickly. Any more I just twist myself around in the seat and cast off the rear quarter and let the boat just do what it will as it will eventually settle out on a direction and continue the slow drift. You can't do the "twist around" move in a 2013 with the Vantage seat without some serious discomfort caused by the arm rest pressing against your legs.

Some would say to use a drift chute to counter the spinning issue but that's just not possible where we fish here in Jacksonville. A drift chute wouldn't last 5ft with all the oysters in the shallow waters where we chase reds and trout. Standing works, but then you have to sit back down to make any corrections to steerage so that you can work the pedals for the forward momemtum needed to use the rudder.

I'm going to be buying another PA this spring and I'm still up in the air as to whether I'm going to be searching out a 2012 that is like new or sucking it up and learning to deal with the new 2013!

Either way I've already decided that I will be a loyal customer to Hobie as I have seen first hand that there is no comparison for tournament fishing especially if the wind and currents are bad!!