Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wire in jib sail?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i have an 84 Hobie 16 the metal wire in the jib is rusted and both loops are broken from cable. this is the cable that attaches to the halyard and the fore stay adjuster. why did they not make it from stainless like everything else. what is this cable called? and is it replaceable with a stainless one? i need to order so need to know correct name.

thanks

Post subject: Re: wire in jib sail?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:39 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The luff wire in the jib becomes the forestay when the jib is hoisted. It is made of stainless steel - at least on OEM jibs.

It sounds like yours may have been replaced at one point, or the jib is an aftermarket one.

The wire is sewn into the sail and would need to be replaced by a sailmaker. You cannot replace it yourself unless you have the proper equipment.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't think that they are sewn in. I have replaced the jib luff wire at the same time I did the shrouds and bridle wires. A shackle at the bottom and some Spectra to hold the top.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:23 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

jkkartz wrote:
I don't think that they are sewn in. I have replaced the jib luff wire at the same time I did the shrouds and bridle wires. A shackle at the bottom and some Spectra to hold the top.
On newer ones, you are correct. On old jibs (and I suspect this one is old), there was a leather anti-chafe patch sewn around the ends.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply's, sail is o.e.m. Hobie but the wire is rusty, Wife has a great sewing machine I don't see any leather, I will attempt to remove

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't sail it until you replace that wire. The wire on my circa '72 jib sail was rusty at the ends but I thought it would be OK in middle (don't know why I thought that). I was out for about an hour yesterday when suddenly the boat started acting weird. I looked forward and all that was still attached to the forestay was about the first two feet of the jib sail, with the rest of it flying behind me like a flag.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was able to replace the luff wire, but had to remove the heavy duty spur grommets at the top and bottom of the jib,installed new luff wire and installed grommets from Joannes fabrics, but they didn't last, at least not the upper one.

My question is how is the jib supposed to be secured to the luff wire so that it doesn't slide up or down. I can sail a little more this year but need to repair several items this winter the jib being one of them. try to be specific and detailed. I'm still a newbie but learning fast

Have had a great time sailing this summer, only pitch poled once(newtons laws of motion are still working great) an object(me) :shock: in motion remains in motion. YAHOOOOO

Thanks
Hal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What I have seen is multiple wraps of thin line (the same as used the secure battens) going from the thimble to the grommet and back.