Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all,
I am looking to buy a Hobie for solo sea sailing in Asia. I weigh 70 kgs (150 pounds) and have some experience on Hobie Tiger.
I also could sail from time to time with my son (30 kgs, 65 pounds) but not too frequently, who is learning on optimist

I am hesitating between a 14 race (with jib), 16 or FX ONE.
I know the 14 is not manufactured in the US anymore and not available where i live (Hong Kong) but i guess I could have it shipped from France.
This option looks to me the most favourable since i believe righting the boat is not an issue, but will the 14 (with jib) will give me excitement compared to the 16 and FX ONE ?

Thanks a lot for your insights and experiences.

Benoit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No, the 14T is a lot slower than the 16. Besides the smaller hulls the sail plan is a lot smaller even with a jib.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Watch the videos that the user "CREATIVE" has put up on this thread and tell me that the Wave isn't an exciting boat.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21512

It may not be for everyone, but it might be something worth considering.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the great VDOs and responses. the Wave seems interesting. can trapeze ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've only ever sailed the Wave at vacation resorts but they don't appear to support a trapeze.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a trapeze available, but it will only support a smaller child. Not an adult.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can't beat a 16 for cheap and easy. FX one might be a little more exciting though

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Benoit - As you can see from the responses so far, there is no such thing as the "perfect" boat. You'll have to decide what's most important to you and then choose the best boat for you and your son. Keep in mind that these boats don't capsize or pitch pole. We do. We take chances; occasional lapse in concentration; we screw up. When sailing with your young son you can sail more cautiously and use good judgemeent before going out on a windy day.
I'm 156 lbs. and can right my Hobie 16 with another adult and a righting line. I use a righting bag when I capsize while sailing solo.
Your son won't be 65 lbs. for long. If you plan on taking along a friend or relative occasinally, you won't be too happy with a smaller boat.
Look into availability of boats and parts. Also knowledgable people to advise you when necessary - Hobie Fleets, dealers.......
Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For a family boat, anything in the 16' range in my opinion. Can you get the Tatoo there? The FX is more of performance boat like the Tiger.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

JJ wrote:
For a family boat, anything in the 16' range in my opinion. Can you get the Tatoo there? The FX is more of performance boat like the Tiger.

Thanks JJ. the tatoo seems quite heavy for solo righting but seems a good compromise for family and fun (jib/kite/double trapeze options). have you sailed it before and any experience in solo ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kdj wrote:
Can't beat a 16 for cheap and easy. FX one might be a little more exciting though

Thanks. I don't think i will consider the FX1 since i already have a tiger.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

richandpat wrote:
Benoit - As you can see from the responses so far, there is no such thing as the "perfect" boat. You'll have to decide what's most important to you and then choose the best boat for you and your son. Keep in mind that these boats don't capsize or pitch pole. We do. We take chances; occasional lapse in concentration; we screw up. When sailing with your young son you can sail more cautiously and use good judgemeent before going out on a windy day.
I'm 156 lbs. and can right my Hobie 16 with another adult and a righting line. I use a righting bag when I capsize while sailing solo.
Your son won't be 65 lbs. for long. If you plan on taking along a friend or relative occasinally, you won't be too happy with a smaller boat.
Look into availability of boats and parts. Also knowledgable people to advise you when necessary - Hobie Fleets, dealers.......
Good luck!

Thank you for your good sense answer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since the Tatoo is a European Hobie, it hasn't made it over here. So, no, honestly, I have not sailed one. But I when I started looking at cats, I wanted something about the length, weight, and agility of a Tatoo. The Nacra 500 was on my list also because it came close to fitting my needs. Which was some easy cat/family fun and some performance without the mass. The H16 I ruled out for a number of reasons. The Tatoo weighs and looks kind of like the Nacra 500 or H15...

I ended up finding an FX. I like the FX but like the Tiger there are lots of little rigging and safety quirks that you have to watch out for, in my opinion. Since I sail it solo, I have spent a lot of time working on the rigging to make it more "one-person friendly".

At my location, winds are variable most of the time and the H14 was not an option for that reason -- especially figuring its weight carrying capacity being low in light winds.

Since you own a Tiger, you may already have the best of both worlds. You might have to back it down to main sail only and put on some type of suitable righting setup and mast float possibly like the one below. The Hobie Bob is not an option for the FX in my opinion.

http://www.wayfarer-international.org/W ... yancy.html

It all comes down to what keeps the easy family fun going. Just my few thoughts...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks JJ.
If i can get a Tatoo where I am I will go in this direction otherwise I believe my choice will go to a Wave with jib and trapeze (for my son later on).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have recently returned to sailing a Hobie and was faced with your choices, too.

I am 55, weigh 145-ish, and need a boat that was both fun, safe and that I could right myself if necessary. Much of my sailing is now solo with the occasional rider.

I used to have a 16 in the 70s and again in the 90s... and nothing is comparable. It's exciting, it's fast, and you can have company.

However, I chose the Wave with a Jib, and I am so pleased - I made absolutely the right choice.

I can take the Wave out in high winds by myself. It rigs so much easier and simpler than a 16... I can get her up and out myself in no time and take her back down just as quickly. She turns easily without a Jib (unlike a 16), she can fly, she's maneuverable... and I can do it all myself.

And I can put up the Jib and have a friend along and have a great time, too.

As everyone here says, it's all personal preference, what you needs are - and consider where you sail, too.

NetraLee
& the Bitty Kitty