Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I paid $2300 for a 1979 hobie 16 the other day, and I knew from the start that this was above average. But after reading my circumstances, I'd like your opinions on the price.

I live in Victoria, BC, a town of 300,000 people, on a Canadian island near Vancouver and Seattle. Driving a car to the Vancouver and back costs about $150, and add perhaps $50 for a trailer. Driving to the states is a similar cost, but you have to register and import the trailer.

So you see, when I saw a H16 in good condition right here in town, ads in Seattle at $1000 seemed very unattractive, considering the likely hood of driving down and coming back empty handed. Bad boats, trouble registering or importing trailer, chances of getting ripped off etc.

I also noticed that there were only 2 H16 ads in Victoria, 2 or so in Vancouver, but 5 in the Seattle area. My impression was that the next H16 might be a long time coming. The ad in Vancouver asked about 3000 for a late 80s model, and both Victoria ads asked 2700. These prices are much higher than average because average takes into account areas where the market is fast, I guess.

The hull has no soft spots, trailer was nice, sail in good condition with a few repairs done professionally. The tramp has a tear in it, but is useable (we reinforced the tear already), and the mast base only takes 1 rivet (it's a bit jerry rigged for travelling, but fine for sailing). Some of the haliard blocks have a chipped pulley in them. Comes with a mast float and all (original) trapeze gear.

I keep checking and have not seen any new ones come up for less, so I think I made an OK-good decision so far, considering I got my H16 so fast.

Does anyone else have experience buying an H16 in a small town?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought my 82 H16 for $800... it needed a new mast base (btw, I put 3 rivets in it!) and new jib lines, jib battens, and a new tramp... so I have $400 ish in upgrades/repairs. Also came with a trailer and original sails. The trailer is in rough shape, but works for the two times I move it a year.

Purchased in the Milwaukee, WI area.... 6-7 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is always a tough question to answer. If you're looking for peace of mind, as you say, you'll always find someone who seemed to score a better deal. You will also find people who paid less, but worked more at it.

At the end of the day, you paid what you paid. Seeing as you live on the Island, there are certainly other costs to consider. One thing you will find, the longer you own the boat, the happier you are that you got it in the first place.

The money is spent now. Whether it was a great deal, an average deal, or a not so great deal, at the end of the day, you've got a boat that you can work with to get out on the water.

Enjoy it! Try not to spend too much time worrying about what you spent. We all know someone who missed an entire season or two looking for that perfect boat, at the perfect price. At the end of the day, if you paid a little bit more, but you don't have to wait any longer to be out on the water, than you should consider it a good deal.

There will always be someone who paid more, or got a worse deal... they're just unlikely to mention it on a forum like this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey all that matters is that youve got one of the badest ass cats there is, just just have fun with it man and hang ten.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A well-sailed boat is a bargain. An unsailed boat is expensive. It doesn’t matter how much you paid. The more you sail that boat, the cheaper each sail gets.

We are all spending money to learn sailing. I wish I could go sailing in BC for that. You got the boat and the location. Well Done.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congrats on your Hobie! Get her on the water and you'll soon forget about the rest. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've been shopping for a H16-18 in BC last summer, mostly central mainland. Ever since, I pay attention what is out there. Many people asking too much and can't sell a boat for a half year or more. In fact, BC market is quire more expensive than Florida or California or even WA. If you restrict yourself to the Vancouver island, you've properly paid a market price. Including Vancouver, chances are you've overpaid a bit.

What important now -- is to get your boat ready to sail. Chances are will need to get a few parts and do some fixes. Let me know if you need help with locating part suppliers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jonh wrote:
Congrats on your Hobie! Get her on the water and you'll soon forget about the rest. 8)

Thank you all for your great comments. We went sailing today and it was great! Glad we bought our H16 already :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

$2300.00 is a bit high but.... if you wait around for the best deal you may never get out on the water.... don't forget the extra u would have paid on the ferry, it's per foot...
i have bought 3 boats...
1980... $1000.00
1981...$800.00
1997... 4000.00
I always thought i paid too much each time... but have never had so much fun...
keep looking around to upgrade, the 97 boat has many nice features....

have fun sail...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very good comments above! So true! The only season I had a regret was when I paid $100 for a dock spot and only got out on it ONE time. I had another year where I only used it twice... so it cut the cost in half of sailing that year.

Now, I've found a free ramp to store my boat on and it's so amazing! I sail for free... unless I break something, which I haven't in awhile!

As others said above, don't worry about what you paid, just enjoy it as often as you can!