Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Emergency Steering
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As I had previously mentioned, I fitted external emergency steering to my TI after getting blown out to sea when my internal steering control lines broke.

Probably best to explain what I aimed for.
* Wider steering arms at the rudder to reduce interference of the lines with the hull
* 2 to 1 tackle on the steering line to lessen the effort (Tied off on the base of the now unused bungee there for the old twist & stow rudder)
* Adjustable bungee cord on the other side to allow for different weather conditions
* Cam cleats on both lines next to the driver seat to enable locking 'em down.
* I didn't bother with fancy fairleads etc, as this system won't need to overcome long-term friction issues

So here are the goods I used.
Here is the system on standby (slack lines) The rudder extensions were made from some carbon fibre I had lying around, but anything would do for this task.
Here it is set up with working tension
And here is a boring shot of one of the cam cleats. Obviously I was able to attach these to my "captain's chair" platform, but they could just as easily been mounted directly on the rail.

Testing it in the yard shows that the 2 to 1 purchase enables the system to easily override friction of the standard internal steering, so if that was broken, the emergency one would be even easier to operate.

Job done!

Last edited by tonystott on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Emergency Steering
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

"Great Scott Man! I think he's got it!" :D

Very close to what I was imagining.

Now if you could just rig those to operate with our feet, we would be set.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While pedalling? left-right-left-right-left-right :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just a thought, bring the lines up to your head, and you can then steer by looking :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tonyscott:
Steering with your head would only work if you have your ears pierced, I would advise against sneezing while driving though. :lol: :lol:

Disclaimer:
Danger of running aground when passing topless beaches.

Seriously though, it is a good idea to be prepared for loosing your steering, I have broken rudder lines on several occations and my TI cannot be sailed with no rudder. I always carry an extra rudder pin (broke a few of those also). I think the TI is too big to try to steer with a paddle (tried it, didn't work).
In my case I have that huge spinnaker, and the control lines run in a big loop from pulleys at the ends of the rear AKA's. I drilled a small hole at the back of my rudder so if I ever loose my steering, I can tie the spinnaker control lines to the back of the rudder and still steer home (not with my eyes though- lol).
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I also have a external emergency steering line. My is much simpler. Parachute cord loop running from the rudder head forward through the stowage bungee tie downs, behind the seat and back down the other side.

During the EC I ran aground with the rudder down in heavy winds. The steering lines got slack and I had trouble steering. The weather gave me a hard weather helm. I used the emergency steering to help turn the rudder.

Sometimes when I hike out on the Stbd side I can not control the tiller arm. The emergency rudder lines can be used for small adjustments.

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Paul:
That's the best idea so far, I'm going to add the same. That would work great for when laying out on the tramps. I will just keep the lines attached to the boat and stow them in the mesh pocket when the aka's are removed.
Question do you have the lines crossed so it steers he same as the normal steering, or does it operate like a tiller (backwards).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm always impressed with the ingenuity of the users on this forum. It seems like you have created a simple but effective system to deal with your problem.

Just for the sake of those who may not have context, it should be pointed out that for most users, in the unlikely event that you do lose steering, having the paddle with you can help get you home.

Obviously the further you are out, the greater the concern, but I've been out in fairly strong winds on Lake Ontario, when a rudder pin broke, (and foolishly I didn't have a spare with me) and I was able to quite easily get home by pedaling and dragging an arm in the water to create resistance and steer. Drag the right arm to go right, the left arm to go left.

So while these modifications will certainly help the hard core adventurer, in most people's cases, the standard boat is not completely unsafe without a rudder. Many kayaks operate without a rudder, and the paddler is able to move them in a variety of conditions. Extreme conditions, or some Ocean conditions would certainly make it more difficult when dealing with a boat of the AI, or TI's size.

If you plan longer adventures, in higher currents, or larger waves, these modifications are something to keep an eye on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
Paul:
That's the best idea so far, I'm going to add the same. That would work great for when laying out on the tramps. I will just keep the lines attached to the boat and stow them in the mesh pocket when the aka's are removed.
Question do you have the lines crossed so it steers he same as the normal steering, or does it operate like a tiller (backwards).

Why would you need to cross them? Pulling the starboard line would steer you to starboard and the port line would steer you to port.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh. DAH
I guess I was over complicating it in my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Augaug, unfortunately, I was physically unable to steer my TI with the paddle on starboard tack, it simply kept turning up into the wind, nor could I make any progress into the quite strong wind. Perhaps AIs are easier to steer with the paddle, but my back-up steering didn't cost much, and would have avoided me needing rescue.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
...unfortunately, I was physically unable to steer my TI...

Tandem Island. That's probably the difference. The AI was quite manageable in most situations.

I hope that you didn't take my post as a criticism of your ideas. I just read through it and thought that it should be mentioned that this isn't a mandatory thing for all boats, but an option for some, in certain situations.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have flipped up my rudder and steered my AI using the paddle while sailing. It makes a poor rudder, but does work.

The only failures my wife and I have experienced have been rudder pin failures. It's possible to change pins on the water, easier if you can find a shallow spot or dock.

My thought for an emergency replacement for the internal lines was something kind of like this:

Just a tab sticking out one side of the rudder and a long stick attached to it would do the trick. The tab could stay in place all the time if not too long. The stick would need a stowage spot, but that should not be too hard.