Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE TI3 PROJECT
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Funny - I didn't even notice. The "TI3" party was in full swing yesterday. :lol:

20-30mph winds. The Amas never submerged!

I was taking a bath, even on the Hakas. These shots were taken from the new Railblaza camera boom, just before my hat flew off,.. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could have stayed dryer by swimming! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You guys see a Hilo Harley Davidson hat out there - it's mine. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After that last high speed white water trip, it was clear the TI3 might go even faster with a little spray reduction. :wink: So we broke down and called Kayak Bob and asked him to rush us a pair.

Fast forward to Bob getting off a plane in Honolulu with some shiny new spray skirts,.. and joining us in the Batcave for a week of TI3 sailing, testing and brainstorming. Plus a little partying between trips.

In our next episode you'll see the TI3 get railblazed and skirted, and see how KBob likes the ride out on the REAR HAKAS. Hope the wind is up!

Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for mentioning your new Railblaza system NOHUHU.

After reading your last post I ordered the boom for my camera and used my haka "extensions" to mount 4 starports. I can envision many uses for them ... especially on expeditions.

Good move getting the sprayskirt. It looked like you needed a snorkel and mask on that last trip. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sure ting Capt. We are wrapping up a fun filled week of hydrodynamic joy riding here and have an overload of helpful HD footage thanks to the Railblaza's. Had a nice party in the Batcave last night and reviewed some of it.

KayakingBob and I sailed the cr@p out of the TI3 Tuesday. Loved the skirts! We got some serious speed and a little air too. Looking forward to his comments.

Yesterday, KBOB experienced the Batboat firsthand everything from rough seas to shallow reefs to offshore island landings.

Many adventures to tell, some of it classified :wink: but what I can say for now is I have a serious case of "Haka Butt". :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, Kayaking Bob's been back home for a couple weeks but I still have a sly grin on my face from the great week of sailing.

It started with the TI3 team going over every inch of the boat and getting it ready for Bobs inspection. This included:

Railblazing the Akas for fishing gear, cameras and gadgets
upgrading Harken blocks and cleats,
installing a new reinforced crossbar and bearing plate,
tuning the v-brace to fix a bulged hull and poor furling,
installing custom furling blocks,
rerouting and adjusting the rudder lines,
leashing the Akas,
torquing the bolts, lubing the seals, shining the Hakas, etc.

Before sacrificing our good friend from Maui, Batman and I took the boat for a test flight out in open water. We gave the railblaza multi camera rigs a good shakedown and found some annoying flaws that needed to be addressed.

We chose the classic "double Haka" mode (4 benches) and later trolled for supermodels.

Before we set off, we rolled HD video on 2 cameras attached to the new RAILBLAZA camera booms.

Beating offshore, there was a decent side swell that day and you are obliged to cross a full mile of patch reefs before seeing open water. It usually makes for an interesting transit.

Just the sort of challenge we wanted for the TI3.

Outside, the sailing was choppy but great and a precurser to the bigger surf Kayaking Bob and I would play in the next day.

The only frustration was the constant need to adjust one camera boom that rocked loose over and over again in the choppy conditions.

I'll get back to you all soon with details of KBOB's rides aboard the TI3 and Batboat, - and let you know how the supermodel thing worked out. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just in case my wife is ever reading here, I Was NOT Pointing at the Supermodels! Really! :o

(The previous post produced by a trouble maker with creative license! :D )

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey -thanks Bob, that's the NICEST thing anyone has ever called me! ;-)

OK, those last 2 photos may be slightly out of order,..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KayakingBob wrote:
Just in case my wife is ever reading here, I Was NOT Pointing at the Supermodels! Really! :o

(The previous post produced by a trouble maker with creative license! :D )

Oh sure Bob :roll: Although I agree NOHUHU definitely is author to the most creative and entertaining posts on this forum. This one just shot to the top of the list :lol: Love the supermodel picture !!! Only one ???

Was that the famous and elusive Batman in those photos ? The TI3 is one cool setup. When you slide your mirage drive between the haka slats, don't the fins drag in the water?

Also in that same picture with the mirage drive between the haka slats, do you have a source for that telescoping pole that hooks into your rudder extension hardware? I just got all the hardware that attaches to the rudder handle but still need to source an efficient telescoping pole.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually, visiting NOHUHU and Batman was an eyeopener for me. I (as many) smiled and rolled my eyes at his posts mentioning supermodels. Well, two out of two outings during the week with hardly anyone else around but us, and what this?? Models, models everywhere!

I'm not (or according to my wife I better not be) a judge of what's a supermodel, but having to launch/land around photo shoots, may finally validate his many supermodel comments in posts. I did NOT see any preference for the RED boats, but then again...
THEY WERE THERE! 8)
Batman says NOHUHU selected the last one as the winner! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks again KBob. Nice montage of photo evidence there.

Glad you folks got to see our "Miss Haka-2012" talent competition. As for my personal favorite, I only hope that was a (censored) in the last shot. :oops:

CaptC - I can neither confirm nor deny the identity of Batman, or that person riding (censored) on the TI3. As a newly-minted superhero, you'll understand why.

And yes, the Mirage fins DO drag in the water somewhat on both tacks, particularly in swells. (I wanted some photo evidence of this too). It's the sort of thing that would drive KBob Lolo (crazy). He worked very hard to remind me not to drag my excess lines in the water. See, I am still learning,..

I would normally prefer that the spare Mirage drive be stowed flat and bungeed, but for the sake of argument let's just call it an "Optional Haka Daggerboard".

The hiking stick is made from a Detailer's Choice 6314 Snap and Store automotive squeegee handle.

Kayaking Bob is the proud owner of a new stick, as a momento of his recent visit. I suspect we'll see it again soon, if he enjoyed his Haka rides and decides to make a pair.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
It's the sort of thing that would drive KBob Lolo (crazy). He worked very hard to remind me not to drag my excess lines in the water.

A wise man once advised me to loop my lines through a carabiner attached to my PFD. Solved my dragging lines immediately.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great idea. I'll try it. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the info on the hiking stick NOHUHU. I'm with Bob on the dragging lines in the water. For some reason it drives me nuts to have anything at all dragging. Once you use hakas, there's no going back to tramps.

Btw, who was the first to come up with the haka idea for AI's ? Was it you or Batman?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next