Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All -

I've just about finished gathering all the parts to upgrade the jib travellers on my '77 H16, but I found some conflicting information regarding the location of the cleats.

I am going to use the trentec cars with 2 swivel cleats on each side (4 total). The location and use of each cleat is what I have a question on. I've found the two below images showing different setups.

In an old post Matt Miller shared the below computer drawing. Is there an advantage to one location vs another? Also note that in the photo the inboard cleat controls the traveller, but in Matt's image the inboard cleat controls the sheet. The trentec cars that I purchased (used) came with a block attached in the end hole, so they could be used like Matt's photo depicts.

Other member's boat:
Matt's image:

Any help and advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:27 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The system Matt M. shows uses lance cleats, which is how boats used to come from the factory in the late '90s (albeit with a different traveler car). Using lance cleats instead of the swivel cam cleats would have saved you almost $100 on the system you installed.

However, since you've already mounted the cleats, the inboard cleat should be used as the traveler control; the outboard for the jib sheet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MBounds wrote:
The system Matt M. shows uses lance cleats, which is how boats used to come from the factory in the late '90s (albeit with a different traveler car). Using lance cleats instead of the swivel cam cleats would have saved you almost $100 on the system you installed.

However, since you've already mounted the cleats, the inboard cleat should be used as the traveler control; the outboard for the jib sheet.

Thanks for the reply. I actually purchased the swivel cleats used for $20 a set --- I would have gone the lance cleat route if I hadn't found these used.

My cleats have not yet been mounted, so I was curious if I should put my swivel cleat in the location that Matt M shows, or the location that the photo posted shows.

Thanks again!

Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:49 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

If you haven't installed them, I wouldn't.

They're big, they get in the way, and they'll take a huge chunk out of your butt when you go over the handlebars. They're just the wrong cleat for the job.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
If you haven't installed them, I wouldn't.

They're big, they get in the way, and they'll take a huge chunk out of your butt when you go over the handlebars. They're just the wrong cleat for the job.

Word. They're way too much for the job and it's more crap to grab lines you don't need grabbed.