Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:04 pm 
Anybody have a main traveler track from a rear cross bar they want to sell? We were out hitting it hard in a 20+ Mph blow and the last foot or so on the port side came off with the car. Anybody else have this problem? Guessing the screw just pulled the threads. Anybody Rivet theirs on?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One of the Ronstan or Harken tracks should work, just need to figure out which one. :D

I recently had to take mine off because I broke the screw head off on the traveler stop. The screws were put in with red threadlock at the factory so you'll have to get them good and hot with a torch to get them to back out. Go in order as the track is actually spring fit to the crossbeam so it will rise up as you go.

I was able to find replacement stainless philips head screws at west marine. You will most likely need replacements for at least a few because of the threadlock unless you're really good or lucky.

I ended up riveting down one of the traveler stops and the other I replaced the screw with a hex head screw to make it easier to get in and out. I also used blue thread lock on everything instead of the red, just need to inspect it on occasion to make sure there's no daylight showing underneath the track and tighten when necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:09 am 
Thanks for the info. The track looks just like my Nacra's but the bend was throwing me off. Nice to know a generic track will work. I'll take my torch up this weekend and take the old track off. Fortunately my screws came out somehow on the section that broke off instead of breaking the screws off. Not sure how it failed. I had a square top sail on and it was blowing pretty hard so conditions were right to test the strength. Sure is amazing how fast those boats will go when powered up with a big crew.