Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone purchased new H18 shrouds and found they were too short? when I stepped my mast it came up nearly an inch and a half too short, even with the shrouds at the highest point on each stay adjuster.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought new Hobie shrouds a year ago and they fit fine. Check back with where you bought them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

What shroud adjusters do you have ???

Origonally the H18 shrouds were too long ... you ended up at the very bottom hole most of the time ... leaving you no adjustment ...

... so we installed/upgraded to a 10 hole shroud adjuster and took the "too long" shrouds ... cut the "marine eye" off (as close/short as possible)... and had a new marine eye pressed on. This reduced the shroud length overall (by approximently 1 1/2") ... and you usually end up in the fourth-fifth-sixth hole on the 10 hole adjuster (from the top ...).

So, I would check which shroud adjusters you have ... how many holes ... 6-hole or 10-hole .... it is entirely possible you have the "newer"shorter length shrouds (that most of us racing currently have and which is what you want) but still have the "older" shorter length shroud adjusters ... and that combination will not work.

If that is what you have I would keep the shrouds and replace the shroud adjusters w/ the 10-hole versions ... and don't forget to get shroud covers also ...

... you don't want to loose a clevis ring ==> loose the clevis pin ===> then the mast will come down ====> and that can really RUIN your day!!!

Where did you purchase the shrouds from ... Hobie (OEM) ... or Murrays (that's where I get my shrouds from) ... or somewhere else ...

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased them from Backyard Boats and they only sell Hobie branded parts. So I feel like I have the 6 hole adjusters and not the 10. I'll contact them about the 10.

thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

Backyard Boats????

You dealing w/ Jay in Virginnie ... or Dennis in Annapolis ???

See my ident .... you should come to Rock Hall Yacht Club/Rock Hall Md on September 22nd and 23rd for the HCA-NA Northeastern Championship. The best H18's and their crews in the Eastern United States will be there !!!!!

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jay in VA. I've worked with Jay since I bought the boat in '99. Great guy.

just wish I'd have gotten a heads up that I was switching from older longer shrouds to shorter ones before I tried to step the mast and looked like a fool.

But I did get the 10 hole adjusters and agree with the bottom of the adjuster on the longer shrouds of ole.

Wish I could race again, but I need to get back out myself and get rockin again first. I have a full week of sailing coming up the 13th and am really excited, beach launching, wave ripping, adrenaline sailing! Can't wait!

- Kip

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hang on there, you lost me. I've got a (new to me) '79 H18, and it has a 7-hole shroud adjuster. I believe my current standing rigging is quite old, as the boat has been in storage for 17 years. I haven't yet figured out my mast rake, but I've been pinning the forestay at the top hole, pinning the furler at the 3rd hole (from the top) and then each of the shrouds at about the center hole (4th from the top).

I'm looking at replacing the standing rigging next season, but now I'm not sure that new shrouds will fit? looking at the latest parts catalog it looks like the shroud adjuster has 7 holes, not 10. Can someone clear that up for me?

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Knocking some dust off of this topic. Just had the same thing happen to me with my '84 model H18. I bought shrouds from Murrays and they were 1 1/2" shorter than what I have to assume were the original shrouds. I have the shorter 6-7 hole shroud adjuster and it was a bear getting the mast up top holes all around. Measured my upper forestay - 3' 5", Lower Stay - 17' 2", and swivel block - 5", all in spec.

Thank you Mr. Murphey for pointing out that Hobie actually shortened the newer shrouds, had no idea. Now I will get the 10 hole adjusters and be back on track.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's also possible you're running your mast rake too far forward. I have a set of Murrays rigging on my boat and everything is near the top of the adjustment (including the forestay adjuster), but the rake is good. I would check your forestay setting.

Otherwise, using 10 hole adjusters on the side stays should get you back in the game.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you, yes my Forestay adjuster is on the top hole. When I had the longer shrouds it was maybe 3-4 so makes sense. I'll keep it on the top hole now when my 10 hole shroud adjusters arrive!