Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outboard motor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Honda makes a tiny 2 HP gas engine that weights only 28 pounds. The gas tank is internal to the engine. Is there such a thing as an outboard bracket mount for a Wave that an engine like would fit on? Not sure if I need or want one, but just curious what's available and out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't know anything about that gas engine, but I do know that ever light/portable engine I've ever used has leaked gas. Some leak even from wake rocking the boat or just from locking up in the tailoring position.

Keep in mind that if you tip over your engine will exceed 90 degrees and can invoke the safety feature that leaks gas. It might even drip on your head as you unlock your main sail.

You'd be better off with electric engine and charge meter. I don't believe Hobies are meant to be loud sources billowing blue smoke.

I still prefer the paddle but I'm young and hard headed.

Check at this thread from the Getaway section on the Cheata motor mount.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=4023

Post subject: Re: Outboard motor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Why do you need a motor? Good sailers never run out of wind and bad sailers should never need motors!
Leave all that alone and check the weather reports before sailing and if you have narrow channels then learn to maneuver them on wind power and not smelly motors. Hobie makes a wonderful telescoping paddle that can be carried on the wave with great ease. Strongly suggested that you carry one for dead wind conditions and slow approach docking or beaching.

Hobie sailing is good CLEAN fun
NO MOTORS please!

Post subject: Motor Mount
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gcarshall

Page 35 of here:

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/eC ... og2006.pdf

Doug

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Last weekend I had sailing birthday party for my kids and couldn't risk to not having a wind. I couldn't control weather and at Thursday night I went to Wal-Mart : $100 for T34 El motor, $60 for battery, $20 for charger, $7 for battery box. At Friday, I made drawings and friend of mine used 1/8" aluminum in shop to make simple brackets and battery holder. Saturday morning I spend 1 1/2 hour to drill holes an install everything. Guess what? I hade profile backwards and it was still working. It wasn’t any wind outside and kids where sailing for 3-4 hours. Let me know if you want drawings and picture. From now weather is not reason not to go outside, on the lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

i had a Tohatsu 2.5hp on my Hunter 146 last summer (self contained gas) and it never leaked and always started on 1 pull....was pricey at $600

Post subject: Photos and drawings
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sandan:

I would like to see some photos and drawings of your system. How are you able to keep the battery fro getting wet? I have a small dock to get out of for the Wednesday night races and the wind is almost always dead on going back in.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
"Stress Free" # 007
dsnell4 at houston dot rr dot com