Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took my new Wave out for the first time yesterday. I am somewhat disappointed in the effort involved with stepping the mast. It is certainly not as easy as advertised by the retail store that sold me the boat.

Not only is the mast deceptively heavy, but stepping the mast with one adult is really not feasible except for possibly experts who do it frequently and/or have some sort of mechanical leverage assisting them. Luckily, my wife was around and was able to step in and assist when she saw how much trouble it was. However, she will not always be there and my 5 year old is not ready for this kind of work.

Among the problems I encountered -- I got the mast stepped exactly per instructions. However, when I went to attach the forestay to the bridle, it would not reach and needed an additional 4-6 inches for it to reach. The mast was pushed as far forward as it could go, but the shrouds were keeping it from reaching the bridle wires. We had to detach the shrouds, attach the forestay and then go back and reattach the shrouds to make it work.

I checked that none of my wires were wrapped up or twisted, so I don't know why this was. The shrouds were in the same lock hole they had been in when the boat was for sale and the mast was stepped on the dealers lot. So, the forestay should have reached without having to detach the shrouds.

Am I missing something? What could I have done wrong? Or, does the mast simply require 2 adults for stepping?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Some times then stepping a mast the shrouds can get twisted up on the mast so that the wire is actually running up and then down. It is especially easy to get the forestay stuck if you have a furling jib. Taking pressure off a shroud can loosen it for gravity to straighten it before you even notice.

As stepping the mast solo. It is best to have your side shrouds fastened, point your boat at the water (while on the beach/shore) so the front of your boat is lower than the back, and then step your mast. Lift the mast from as close to the top as you can. Lifting near the base at the start is, well just don't. The further back, the less weight you lift and as the mast goes up, it just gets easier.

Gravity should hold your mast up along wit your side shrouds. If you have a bob on your mast, high winds might blow your mast down depending on angles.

With practice I've been able to lift my getaway's mast solo.

Check out the getaway mast raising thread. http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=847

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:08 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I have ran into this problem before, had it rigged here at the shop them the customer not be able to make the forestay reach, we loosen 1 side stay, attach the forestay, the re tighten the side stay.

Not sure why there was so much trouble raising the mast, is there water in it, we raise our with on hand all the time, I did it this morning while on the phone.

I would go back to you dealer and have them demonstrated how to do it again, or just have them show you with one on there lot.

please don't get discouraged, you have a great boat that will provide you and your family with years of trouble free enjoyment!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have painfully learned over time that the shrouds must be returned to a former adjustment of a lesser tension before attempting to stand the mast and connect the forestay. Walk midway on the tramp and pull the mast just below the comptip and slowly walk towards the bow standing the mast along the way. Cradle the mast within your arm pit and push foward holding the bridle and forstay until they reach and then connect. Use a spring pin and or a quick release for greater ease. Soooooo easy a baby can do it. Please remember to readjust the shrouds and set the mast rake for your wind conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK GC we are going to make you an expert,

It is easier to step a mast with two adults. Anyone who tells you otherwise is not being honest. That said, it can be done with one adult or even a teenager with a few tricks.

First, there is no need to have a really tight or even snug rig when stepping the mast so place one of the shrouds in the top hole to make sure that attaching the forestay is easy. You need to be on level ground, boat down wind or slight down slope will help.

Next, before you lift, make sure that all the wires are clear, not twisted. The ring in the pin in the adjuster should be just ready to come off. Substituting a toggle type quick pin here will help.

Then, start your lift from the back of the trampoline and walk towards the mast as you lift it. If it feels heavy, something is wrong (water in bob, Mast, Comptip...)

Once up, use a line looped under the bridle to lift it to you. You can even go one step further by using the main halyard as a helper. Hook it through the shackle at the pin below the adjuster. When the mast is up you can pull this line and cleat or tie it to secure the mast. If you can reach the adjuster while you stand on the tramp leaning on the mast, and attach it, great. If not, the halyard method will be required.

When you are doing this alone, make sure your child is not behind the boat. Dropping the mast is bad, bonking your child is much worse.

Once the mast is up, you can adjust the shrould. Make sure the wire to be adjusted is down wind, down slope, and you child is not pulling on another wire before you let the should loose. One other trick here is to use the main halyard to tighten the rig and make the mast secure while the should is loose. Hook the main halyard to the back lacing on the side you intend to tighten. Pull on the halyard and cleat it. Now you can adjust the should at you leasure as the mast is secure.

I hope this helps.

Post subject: stepping the mast
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dear GC,
Ask some one who has a 16,17, or 18 to step their mast. Then you will think the wave is very easy! It is still not fun but one person can easily step the mast. Do it a few times and you will figure out what to do, and what not to do. Good luck looks like you have lots of advice. rbrazz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MANY THANKS to everyone who helped with this topic. Last weekend, I hooked the trailer up to my van at home and tested raising the mast by myself. My wife was present in case I got "stuck" somewhere.

I hooked the halyard to a heavy duty welded hook on my trailer tongue. This hook is pretty far forward on my trailer, so it was a pretty good angle in terms of being able to have a decent hold on the mast. I then lifted the mast from my position on the tramp and walked it forward. Once it was vertical and even a little forward, I cleated off the halyard to the mast base. I kept my body weight on the mast just in case while i reached forward and hooked the forestay to the bridle. It was all pretty easy compared to my first attempt when I did not use the halyard.

Anyway, I think I have it figured out now. Thanks again for the help and I hope I can offer similarly helpful advice to you all in the future.

Now I just need less of a heat wave and more wind....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 16 and used one of the EZ Steppers for raising the mast by myself. It is very easy and secure. If you have a few bucks to spend it may be well worth it.

86 H16