Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone had a problem with an internal crack inside the hobie AMAS - in the seating hole for the AKA?
Not sure why this happened - but now leaking a lot of water - too much to feasible to go out. I can see the crack - a few inches long and a few mm wide in the hole.
Thanks Ray

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Saw that on a friends boat. The Amas fell off the truck and hit the bungs.

You can try a plastic weld repair. Worse case, you'll have to permanently gflex the drain plug in place.

You can install your own drain ports to the topside of the Ama if you want.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. Please see enclosed the crack - it is internal to the AMAS hole... not the drain hole.
This is going to be difficult to mend I think!
Any advice from the sea salts!
Cheers
Ray
https://picasaweb.google.com/1112965561 ... bieAIAMAS#

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Surely a warranty claim? Why would you attempt such a difficult repair yourself?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can't say anything about Hobie's warranty policy. So I don't go in to that matter.

But it looks to me like a very difficult repair. I agree with tonystott. The leak is in an area with physical stress from the AKA. That means that besides the repair must completely water proof it also have to be mechanical 100% good. I would replace the AMA.

br
thomas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice. Our local Hobie dealer will take a look at it and see if it can be repaired this weekend.
I will keep you posted.
Thanks
Ray

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went to see the Singapore Hobie dealer this weekend. I have to admit the service of Hobie in Singapore and of Merv is incredible!. Hobie is by far the best customer support of any Kayak maker!

Anyway - Merv has tried to repair the crack in the AMAS hull. I am not sure if this is a temporary fix or permanent!.

When we looked at the AKA end caps - we discovered that the end cap is sheared off. Could this explain the crack in the AMAS hull? - without the end caps does the AKA put to much lateral stress on the hulls?

More interestingly we were puzzeled why the AKA end caps have sheared and this is where it gets very interesting. When we bought our AI we had a bad AMAS hull - see link below:

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=40806

This has an offset AMAS hole for the AKA end cap to fit into. Hobie replaced the AMAS with the offset hole under warrenty however we didnt check the damage this may have done to the end caps. In fact we cant remember seeing the end caps! - although not sure! - it is something we didnt check when the hull was repalaced.

Could this be the cause of our problem?

Thanks
Ray

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I checked the repaired hull and did a water test - however there are some small leaks still so not ideal. I have also discovered it is going to take a few months to try and get a replacement hull in Singapore - so we are in a bit of trouble for sailing! before xmas.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well Hobie replaced the hull under warranty. Got to thank Jim Barrie, Cassandra at Hobie Australia for getting a quick hull replacement to me while I was visiting in Sydney this week. Means we can get on the water asap.