Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm a new H16 sailor and am curious about the best way to store my main and jib. Do you leave the battens in or take them out? Roll or flake? Does leaving the battens tightened in deform the sail over time? Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I usually de tension my battens, "fold the sail" up on the boom for easy raising. I keep the main and Jib in my sail bag in my garage.

Cheers

Matthew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi! Congratulations on your Hobie!
I think you will receive a few varied answers on this one depending on the age of your sails. My sails on my Hobie 16 are a year and a half old, so I definitely let the tension out of my battens before I roll the sails.

With the jib, I let the tension out of the battens and then fold the sail to the second batten from the top, at which point I then roll the sail.
With the main, I let the batten tension out, remove the boom, and then fold the sail to the first batten from the top and roll the rest of the way. I then tuck the jib into the main on the last roll.

However, with my Hobie 14 I don't take the same care. The sails are the original from 1983 and while they are still in decent shape, I leave the tension in the battens and roll the sail with the boom still attached. This helps me get rigged up faster, and as the sail is as old as it is, I just don't think it matters at this point.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Spagmopheus - and here are some additional tips from another recent thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44825

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Detentioning between sailing trips depends on what your sail is made of and how long between trips. If you have dacron sails (standard) then detention each time, if the sail is Pentex or similiar material, detentioning is not as important, especially if you sail often. I have a Pentex sail and only detention whenever I'm not sailing for at least a week or 2, so basically my sails stay tentioned up all summer, no ill effect so far (sails are 6 years old).