Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New TI owner -almost!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just a matter of days now, and it's like I'm six years old and it's Christmas eve.

I've wanted one since I first had a go on one in February, and it's all coming together.

Trailer is done and parked in the garage, and I've been busily accumulating all sorts of accessories for when she arrives:
Tramps, Sounder/GPS, rod holders, Mirage spares, rudder pins, anchor trolley, Trax cart, deep gear bucket, handheld VHF, EPIRB, life jackets etc etc....
I've even got some tabs to put on the AMA bungees. Still can't work out why they don't come that way. :?

How am I doing so far? Am I missing anything important?
Keep in mind I want to keep it as stock as possible. All of the above will require a grand total of one hole to be drilled, and I'd like to keep it that way if possible. :wink:

Thankyou folks. The previous threads on this forum have been a wealth of information thus far.

Regards,
Oatesy.
:)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome aboard Oatsey! I know the feeling, and it is still there even after three months of sailing! I suspect that I am the most prolific TI user here, averaging three outings every week since launch (goodness knows what summer will be like!)

From you description, it sounds like you have gone along the same lines as I have in terms of fit-out, other than your use of a cart. I chose to just rely on a trailer with winch to minimise manhandling what is a pretty hefty vessel for this old age pensioner.

I can imagine easy (and exciting) trips between Rotto and the mainland, and your grin matching mine.

One simple mod I would recommend highly is a masthead wind indicator, cheap, yet really enhancing sailing enjoyment. Here are some details I put together for someone else on thew Hobie Oz forum.

The standard masthead has a slot for the loop attached to the sail to locate in, with tension on the sail handled by the downhaul at the furling drum.

As I didn't want to disturb that arrangement. I went to Bunnings and bought a pvc pipe connector with the approximate inside diameter to slip over that loop, and attached it with a couple of self-tappers.

I bought a wind indicator from Whitworths (Windward dinghy wind indicator, part number 93914 price $25), and removed the secondary arms (not relevant on a rotating mast).

I had about 6cms of some spare clear plastic tubing which is a push-fit for the base of the indicator, and shoved some dowling up from the bottom to avoid the mounting nuts and bolts crushing the tubing when tightened.

So I drilled a couple of more screws through the top half of the pvc connector and the plastic tubing (with dowling reinforcement). So I now had the clear tubing locked to the top of the pvc connector, which in turn was screwed to the masthead.

Now, all I do just before lifting the mast into the vertical, is push the base of the indicator into the clear tubing. Easy-peasy!

I find the wind indicator absolutely indispensible for sailing efficiently, picking up windshifts, and speeding up lining up the new tacking angle, which can be really important when going to windward amongst the myriad of oyster leases in my local lake. If you are sailing in open waters it might not be so critical, but either way, it is such a cheap mod, and it adds to the enjoyment of sailing!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a really good point Tony. Now you've mentioned it, I do recall thinking a wind indicator would be helpful when I first tried the TI.

I might look at burning a small hole in the loop and putting a threaded brass insert into the mast tip, then putting a thread on the bottom of the wind indicator. :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Believe me, it is so much simpler to do it the way I did, and the whole lot can be totally removed leaving just two holes where the self-tappers went through the mast The wind indicator is a simple friction fit in the clear tubing. BTW I could post you a length of the tubing.

I should also mention that the pvc pipe connector serves double duty now, as it holds the top sheave on a halyard I use to send a 360 degree LED white light up there so I can legally be at sea during the dark.

Here are the bits needed for that

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
BTW I could post you a length of the tubing.
]

Thanks for that Tony. I might just take you up on it, depending what I find around the house. :)

I see what you mean about the pipe connector being multi purpose. Is it screwed into the actual mast, or just the mast tip?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I go even simpler, 3 feet of 1 1/2" rograine ribbon, tied to the end of the highest batten. No need to put on/off, just slide the sail/mast into the bag. I use different colors to tell which boat is which at a distance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought of doing that too Bob, but the air back at that batten is slightly disturbed by the mast and the sail, and also gets messed up when you partially furl the sail. The masthead indicator works the same even of the sail is completely furled and all parts in between 8)

PS your ribbon looks way cooler but 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's what's so great about these boats (and this forum). So many ways to customize and personalize them, and so many great ideas... 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've copied Bob's idea with the ribbon, but I'm struck by how the ribbon seems to be streaming straight back when I'm sailing close hauled. I'm sure I'm not sailing THAT close hauled.
I think it might be acting like a giant tell-tale.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know what you mean when you say "like a kid at Christmas". I'm on week 5 (ordered Aug 8th) waiting for my Tandem Island. :( And I'm less than 2 hours from the factory in Oceanside!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The awesome thing is that they are worth the wait!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got it! :)

Okay, so I was assembling the new TI yesterday, and there's an allen wrench with the small parts.

Does anyone know what it's for?

Cheers!
Oatesy -Officially the proud owner of a Tandem Island. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmmmn, depending on the size, it's for the adjusting the mirage drive (5/64"), drivewell (3/16"), or Aka crossbar, or scupper cart collars or ???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah Nohuhu. Aka Crossbar maybe.
Seemed a little strange to list it in the owners manual but not mention what I'm supposed to do with it. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just took mine and wandered about my TI looking for things it would fit in! (scientific ah? :mrgreen: )