Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings,

I am new to kayaking and want to know your thoughts for storing a kayak overhead in the fashion pictured below. Is this acceptable / recommended storage for a Hobie Outback?

I used two 18 foot 2" heavyweight polypropelene cam straps to hoist the kayak to the ceililng. The breaking strength for each strap is from 675 - 1800 lbs. Each strap is equipped with a coated safety S-hook so it will not accidentally fall from the screw eye in the ceiling. Each strap has a buckle pad (on other side of kayak) in order to cushion and not leave any scratches on the kayak.

I can lower the kayak from the ceilling into the back of my pickup and take off.

Upon return, I wash the kayak in the yard, load it onto my cart and wheel it into the garage. Each of the long straps form a sling hanging almost to floor level in the garage. Place each sling around the kayak. When you pull down on the strap it lifts one side of the kayak and locks. Alternate lifting each side of the kayak this way until it reaches ceiling level and is out of the way.

Each strap cost about $15.00 + cost of shipping + cost of eyebolts which I felt was reasonable cost.

Are the straps located in the correct position on the kayak in order to prevent damage to the Outback?

Thanks in advance, :D
Tom

Kayak suspended from ceiling

Position of straps on Outack.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't see you photos for some reason (they don't seem to want to load) but I have been storing my kayaks in the garage roof for years hanging them from longer-than-normal roofrack straps and raising them one end at a time as you describe.

One important thing is to turn the yak over so that it hangs upside down. This prevents the strap dents in the hull bottom and it also means that bugs, dust & other crap don't drop into your kayak from above.

You will also find that you can store other stuff inside the boat to cut down the amount of clutter in your garage. I have 2 Adventures & can fit the paddles, masts, sails, fishing rods & all sorts of other crap in there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I like it :) .

Keith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

stobbo wrote:
I can't see you photos for some reason (they don't seem to want to load) but I have been storing my kayaks in the garage roof for years hanging them from longer-than-normal roofrack straps and raising them one end at a time as you describe.

One important thing is to turn the yak over so that it hangs upside down. This prevents the strap dents in the hull bottom and it also means that bugs, dust & other crap don't drop into your kayak from above.

You will also find that you can store other stuff inside the boat to cut down the amount of clutter in your garage. I have 2 Adventures & can fit the paddles, masts, sails, fishing rods & all sorts of other crap in there.

Hi Stobbo,

Not sure what happened regarding the pics but if your yak has been hanging upside down from straps for years and maintaining the integrity of the hull then that is exactly what I needed to know and I thanks for your reply.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If when you are stowing the kayak using your system and pull a strap... It locks? How do you get it back down? Is a ladder involved?

Looks pretty slick in your pictures... I really like the "out of the way" benefit!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My straps operate like the standard roof-rack type with a spring loaded lever which grips the strap via knurled cam jaws. To make them I bought a long length of tape for next to nothing from a local hardware store, cut the straps off an old set of roof-rack straps, and then tied the new strap to the metal fittings - all up less than $20 plus an old set of straps.

To lower all I do is press the cam lever to open the jaws and the strap slips through. I lower each end in turn in small steps - exactly the opposite to the raising process.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

DukesFin wrote:
If when you are stowing the kayak using your system and pull a strap... It locks? How do you get it back down? Is a ladder involved?

Looks pretty slick in your pictures... I really like the "out of the way" benefit!

Hi Dukes,

It is a cam buckle strap and yes it locks as you pull on the strap when raising the kayak.

I don't need a ladder as I back my truck underneath the kayak. I stand in the bed of the truck and press on the top of the buckle for a controlled descent and position it right where I want it in the truck bed.

When I return from an outing I unload the kayak using the cart in the yard. I wash it off and wheel the kayak into the garage. The straps are 18' hence and hang practically to the floor. I wheel the kayak into the straps and hoist her up until next go around.

I ordered the cam buckle straps from http://www.uscargocontrol.com. You can specify the strap material, the length of the strap, the color of the strap, the hardware for the strap (coated safety s-hook) and if you want a buckle pad sewed on or not. The straps I ordered were about $15.00.

Best,
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Question on your setup. Is there anything that prevents you from dropping the kayak when lowering it if you lost grip on the strap? Your pictures do not show a view of the cam area. Thx.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OP

Can you provide a link or search term for the exact straps you have? Also since you have to raise it a little bit at a time how long does that process take to lower and raise?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I stole this idea to mount my Revo 13, Adventure, and Oasis to the garage ceiling.
The 2" wide cambuckles do a great job of holding the straps in place and I have not seen any slippage.
However, my clearance for the garage door is just a bit more than an inch. If there is any slipping or stretching of the straps, I could be stuck with a jammed garage door and it is my primary path of entry to my house. As a precautionary measure, I added some bungees to the garage end of the kayaks to give a little extra support and lift.

I ordered my straps from ratchetstraps.com. 3 pairs of 2" wide, 25' long straps cost me $79 with ground shipping. I will probably cut down the straps a bit and use the leftovers for a PVC kayak stand.

For reference, here was my ordering information:
#US-2CBSH 2" Cambuckle Strap with Vinyl S-Hooks (25 ft) (Gray) (6 inches)

Thanks for sharing your idea. We are very happy to have our garage back!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bonginator: If you lose your grip on the strap the spring loaded cambuckle should kick in and grab it.

SCFA: Go to http://www.strapworks.com/ > under 'Specialty Straps' click on ATV and Motosports > click on motorcycle cam straps > choose your webbing and webbing style > then on the next page select the color, the length of strap, the end hardware, add buckle pad or not > click 'update price' at the top of the page. The price should be approximately $15.00. for each strap.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thomas1950 wrote:
Bonginator: If you lose your grip on the strap the spring loaded cambuckle should kick in and grab it.

SCFA: Go to http://www.strapworks.com/ > under 'Specialty Straps' click on ATV and Motosports > click on motorcycle cam straps > choose your webbing and webbing style > then on the next page select the color, the length of strap, the end hardware, add buckle pad or not > click 'update price' at the top of the page. The price should be approximately $15.00. for each strap.

Even when you are lowering it? I guess I will go look at the web site to see the straps - don't you have to disengage the cam to lower the yak?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I see your concern.

The two inch strap gives you more than ample strength ( 675 lbs - 1800 lbs per strap ) for support purposes and something substantial to grip as you are lowering it. The two straps supporting the kayak each support approximately half the weight of the kayak (only 38 lbs each). This is not much weight to manage for each strap and makes it quite manageable with the two inch strap to grip.

'Disengaging' consists of depressing the spring loaded cam buckle. It stays open as long as you continue to press it in and keep it in the open position. As soon as you let go the cam buckle snaps shut and engages in order to lock the strap in place. It is conceivable if someone lost their grip on the strap and continued squeezing the cam buckle the kayak woud fall.

You might consider making one turn with the strap around your wrist forming a loop for safety purposes as you are lowering the kayak if you are concerned about accidentally losing your grip.

Hope this helps,
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If one lost their grip, would that not cause them to release the cam and thereby preclude the fall?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow. This really looks cool, and I appreciate the photos -- makes everything very clear.

I was looking at a more commercially- developed solution: www.suspenzkayakstorage. I wondered if anyone had tried some of the stuff from this -- or similar -- companies? Brand is not important, but I also have to get my kayak up against the garage ceiling joists.......just looking for any real-world experiences.