Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paddling the PA 12?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I'm new to kayaking, and have a few questions. I discovered the Hobie kayaks recently and have been looking for a way to help rehab my leg since i can no longer run or load any significant pressure on one side. The Mirage Drive is really great, I can go all day without pain. I want to start working the upper body too, but it seems that I keep banging into things, side rails, chair arms, steering handle, rod mount on the board. Know a lot must be my technique, but is anyone else having problems paddling? Picked up a 260 cm paddle to change the angle. I'm thinking of going to a 280 to change the angle more.We fish in the ocean a few miles out and would be in trouble if anything were to happen to my Mirage Drive. Where have you mounted the FF/GPS to avoid this problem?

Thanks for the help

Post subject: Re: Paddling the PA 12?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I do not use the double bladed paddle in my PA. I find that for me, half paddle with the "T" top inserted is much more effective. I actually prefer using a large bladed, wooden canoe paddle as I can move much more water with it. The height of the seat and the width of my PA contribute greatly to my favouring the paddle. Perhaps it's because old habits die hard. (I've been paddling canoes for over 60 years now). I seldom use the paddle. I far prefer the Mirage Drive but, if I need one, my trusty friend is always there to help.
Regards.....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Shimanoman,
Thanks for reply. Was starting to think no one paddles. The Mirage is so efficient, I wouldn't paddle as a first option, but I'm think that I need to be somewhat proficient, in case the Mirage Drive becomes unuseable for some reason. Never tried the t handle. I will try it next time out. Would still like to hear if anyone is using the kayak paddles.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Pro Angler really isn't designed nor intended to be paddled on a regular basis. Sure it can done - you can paddle anything, but at some width it's going to become difficult and not very efficient.

I had thought about trying to come up with some sort of apparatus for rowing the PA, but I ended up thinking the attachments would be in the way when not in use. Still, the PA could be more effectively rowed than paddled, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The PA wasn't meant to paddle. It comes with a Mirage Drive as a primary source of propulsion system. The paddle is a backup/ secondary propulsion system that I believe is mainly meant to be used as a way to push off pilings, fine tune your steering in tight areas, and/or to move the PA in a reverse direction. Because or the PA-14's width of 38", it would be nearly impossible/impractical to try to paddle any long distance. I'm not saying it can't be done...It would just be a PIA :roll:

I always take the paddle with me on fishing trips, but just for fine tune maneuverability around structures and to back up if need be...I hope that I'd never have to use the Paddle for a backup means of propulsion when out on the water miles from shore. That would be a real PIA... :x

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I totally agree that the PA wasn't meant to paddle but I got a 270cm paddle the other day and it helped a lot with the PA14. Now the reason I got the paddle was to use while standing but was surprised how it performed while sitting too. But yea, The Pa's weren't designed to be a primarily paddling yak.

http://www.mariner-sails.com
http://www.TFOrods.com