Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good Ole Hobie.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I raced a Hobie 16 thirty five years ago here in Maryland, and we just picked up a 16 of the same vintage. For free, knowing there truly is no free boat.

Despite being encrusted in lichen, and trussed by vines, she cleaned up pretty good.

Maybe someone can tell me what this is? I drained the hulls, (realizing we need to re-bed the drain plugs) and found this nice spongy white stuff in the effluent. I presume it is NOT froam from the core - is it possible that the flotation block inside has broken down?

We need to Git Rot a little on the port hull, rebuild the transoms and install and upgrade a few items But a little at a time. We've deemed it safe, and I had it out for a relaxing solo last weekend. I'd forgotten how the hulls slice through chop and how smooth the ride was at speed. When a puff comes along, you just fall off a bit and the boat hunkers down and boogies!

Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NscC8Wcrno[/youtube]

Post subject: Re: Good Ole Hobie.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice video. Amazing how much fun you can have for very little $ with and old 16. I bought a '72 boat a few months ago, and have been having a blast. I've had a few more issues than you because mine has been stored in a salty environment for a lot of that time, but I think I am near the end of these issue. And when it gets up and goes it is amazing. The only issue for me is that my sailing has been mostly limited to a fairly small area perhaps 1/4 mile out to the reef and and a mile or two long. In my Bravo this is all the space you need for sailing, but the 16 it is a much smaller space.

Post subject: Re: Good Ole Hobie.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:08 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The stuff coming out the back is almost certainly bits of the flotation block.