Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

1992 Hobie 17 (Purchased winter 1992 so it may be off by a year).
The boat was responsibly sailed for one season and then stored in a garage or in covered storage for all, but 1 year. Gel coat is in good condition. (Cross bars mast, boom and shrouds all white, with gray tramp. Sail is in good condition (White with Lavender triangle) some of the stickers have shrunk a little. Currently located in Las Vegas, with aluminum trailer (w/new tiers) and about 150 miles on it.

In addition to the above in 1993, I purchased a Sport Cat conversation kit, but never installed it (with Lavender jib) everything, but the trap cables.

There are miscellanies parts harness and other stuff.

I would like to keep it all together (i.e., sails match), but might split it up if that is the best way to go.

I have photos of most parts if needed.

So what is a reasonable ask?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Assuming this thing is mint and been garage kept AND has the conversion kit...my personal estimate would be $4k asking price. Hobies tend to retain their value if kept well.

1992 is a bit of a shocker with that asking price, but hey, if you have a mint boat on your hands it's not unreasonable to ask for. I paid $5k for a 99 mint Hobie 17 S this year in CT. It's possible I overpaid in some peoples opinions, but it was exactly what I was looking for and more, and I viewed it as a pleasure and keep me happy and out of trouble purchase (exchanged a street bike for the catamaran). Little bit safer for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:15 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

taos wrote:
Cross bars mast, boom and shrouds all white, with gray tramp. Sail is in good condition (White with Lavender triangle) some of the stickers have shrunk a little.

It's a "Formula" boat - most likely a 1990 vintage. Hobie only made a limited number of the white powder coated aluminum boats because the finish chips badly (and they are scary heavy compared to other 17s).

$3,500 max, with the trailer - if it's in pristine shape.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you both for your input. Oddly enough the boat was purchased in CT and then after a year of use and a job relocation, flatbed to Nevada in 1993.

It is a Formula edition so perhaps it sat at the retailer for more then a year. There are chips on the boom and a nick here and there. So it is not in mint condition its in good condition with a lot of sail left in her.

Perhaps the lower number is best with the right buyer, but the problem is the desert island of Las Vegas. 9.9 boats out of 10 use gas here (I think they are missing the trill and joy of sailing) but that is the reality. So I am not sure how to reasonably find it a new home.

I guess any reasonable offer will be considered for the boat and trailer...

How much should I ask for the sport conversation kit? That can ship anywhere.

Again thank you both for the input.