Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Went to take my seat out of the PA14 and threaded collar broke away from the plastic knob.

Tried all kinds of ways to remove collar from bolt...but with very limited access, it's a challenge to say the least.

Have any of you HOBIE FOLKS come across this yet...if so, how did you remedy it?

Thanks in advance...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's an easy way to do this but let me get this right before I say anything - the nut is still on the seat post and you need to get it off, or you need to get the nut out of the knob?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
There's an easy way to do this but let me get this right before I say anything - the nut is still on the seat post and you need to get it off, or you need to get the nut out of the knob?

Hey Tom,

It's not a nut, it's actually a threaded collar/sleeve...with limited access getting to it, removal is not easy. Need to remove this collar/sleeve from the seat post/bolt. Want to be able to remove seat. I then will order new Threaded Seat Knobs for future use.

Thanks for any of your grand wizard ideas.... ; )

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can't use a vise grip on it to remove it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

atavuss wrote:
You can't use a vise grip on it to remove it?

I tried all tools and gizmos that I have available to me. Including a small needle nose vise grip, does not fit thru opening.

Lack of access, is my enemy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oh man. The only thing I can think of is to put some epoxy in the knob and put it back over the collar and let it setup.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

MrGreen wrote:
Oh man. The only thing I can think of is to put some epoxy in the knob and put it back over the collar and let it setup.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe some Super Glue would hold well enough to get the sleeve off the bolt. Just don't use too much.

How tight are you cranking down the seat retainers? I think you would probably do will with just finger tight. I never crank my down too hard.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NEVERMIND...after taking a step back and ejecting head from you know where...

Some material added...knob was forced down over post...slowly turned and problem solved...geez.

Thanks for putting up with my brain fart! lol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

TDK wrote:
How tight are you cranking down the seat retainers? I think you would probably do will with just finger tight. I never crank my down too hard.

I too just make them finger tight...but fished a tournament yesterday and the knob loosened as there was some play in the seat. So I cranked down some while on the move.

Usually on the water for at least 8 hours at a time and from day one, the seat knobs loosen after awhile. Not a major issue...just an observation.

Hope you gents are having fun on your Hobie PA's!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

joeyb wrote:
TDK wrote:

I too just make them finger tight...but fished a tournament yesterday and the knob loosened as there was some play in the seat. So I cranked down some while on the move.

Usually on the water for at least 8 hours at a time and from day one, the seat knobs loosen after awhile. Not a major issue...just an observation.

Hope you gents are having fun on your Hobie PA's!

Good solution! I'm glad you were able to fix the problem!

I do love my PA, but I got caught out in a fast moving storm with lots of wind about a week ago. I had to paddle my PA for a long stetch that was too shallow and grassy to pedal. The wind was so strong it pinned me up against the side of the creek -- the PA grabs a lot of air from the side! I was afraid a tree might fall on me. Luckily, we got out with everything intact.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

TDK wrote:
joeyb wrote:
TDK wrote:
I do love my PA, but I got caught out in a fast moving storm with lots of wind about a week ago. I had to paddle my PA for a long stetch that was too shallow and grassy to pedal. The wind was so strong it pinned me up against the side of the creek -- the PA grabs a lot of air from the side! I was afraid a tree might fall on me. Luckily, we got out with everything intact.

TDK...glad you made it home safe and sound. Although the PA handles all kinds on water/weather...mother nature can really throw us a curve every now and then...she likes to test our resolve for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

joeyb wrote:
NEVERMIND...after taking a step back and ejecting head from you know where...

Some material added...knob was forced down over post...slowly turned and problem solved...geez.

Thanks for putting up with my brain fart! lol

did the 'nut' get pulled out too there in that pic?

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thrashie wrote:

did the 'nut' get pulled out too there in that pic?

See below visual...

I think the new "Seat Front Knobs" are $7.50 each...sent a email to my dealer to order 2...will follow up with a phone call to make sure order went in.