Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm thinking of selling my Hobie 18. I rebuilt the entire boat, and had a blast at it, but I just don't get out enough to justify keeping it.

I did chase down soft spots on the boat. They have been solid the last couple years. I replaced everything. . . New jib, rigging (everything is new), every little piece that you can replace I did. Have the upgraded rudders, new harken main sheet system, with the becket, so if you wanted to buy a quad for the top you can run an 8:1. Now it's a 7:1. Made some custom wing holders that are sweet. . .

So what would you ask. Our sailing season is coming up for us down is SW Florida, so it is a good time to sell locally. I'd like to sell it for a good price, but want to make it worth it for me. Pictures are below, the jib is new the one in the picture is the old one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wanting to know how much to ask? Any ideas. . .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is the trailer included? As a buyer, the first thing I would want to know is the location of the soft spots you repaired. If I saw drill marks in the vicinity of the front cross bar, I wouldn't consider buying the boat. But that's just me. It's a *great* looking boat with wings and a new jib. I'm guessing somewhere in the range of $2,500ish, depending on the repair location(s) and whether or not you're including the trailer. At the end of the day you're probably not going to make much $$ given all you've put into it. My worthless $.02...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought an '82 magnum 2 years ago with excellent sails, no soft spots, trailer, sailbox and all for $1K. A boat with top deck repairs I wouldn't touch, in fact any delam or delam repair I would be leary of.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What year is it? Is the original sail (shown in the pictures) included? Is the new sail all white, or also the Carumba scheme?

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Also, to get some comparative prices, go to www.searchallcraigs.com and enter "Hobie 18" in the Search box. You'll see what you're competing with and what's been for sale in the past, even if the ad has since expired. The most I've ever seen a Hobie 18 Magnum go for (with wings, trailer, cat trax, and sail box) was $3500.

Mark