Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm planning to create a "Roll Bar" from 1-1/4" Schedule 40 Gray PVC Conduit (matches my Dune TI). Looks like it will fit nicely in the Rod Holder Wells. My goal is to elevate the mainsheet block a foot or so to eliminate/minimize the mainsheet whacking me in the head when I tack or jibe.

Halibu77 did this on his AI and it looks and seems to work great. Wondering if there is any risk of damaging the hull due the larger TI sail plan.

Matt, any thoughts?

Halibu77's YouTube channel is back up, here's a great one showing off all his tweaks:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HALIBU77#p/u/6/Dd0gUIPNDdw

I'll post some photos once it's done.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just finished my Roll Bar. I will post some picks of it soon. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This enhancement is of great interest to us. Once you elevate the mainsheet, we can possiblly attach a bimini over the head of the backseat passenger.

I look forward to seeing your photos of your PVC solution.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just built my Roll Bar for my HAI, to keep the sail line in check, and hold my rods higher up from the water line, and accommodated it to work with Scotty products for trolling rods. The Roll Bar holds 4 rods at this time, but I can make it hold up to 6 rods if I wanted to, but I just think thats way too many rods to bring out there, my max rods is 3 for now. I dont take all the credit for building the PVC Roll Bar Efren (Ivory Dagger) helped me out big time, I would have been lost if it was'nt for good o Ivory Dagger.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It looks great! Well done. Really good job!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to revive/revisit it. The links and pictures from the original posts are gone.
I'd like to build a roll bar for my TI. It would serve two purposes: As a rod holder for when I gear up for fishing, and as a platform for a traveler for the main sheet to get it off my head and maybe boost performance.
I've seen a few pictures for the fishing rod applications and can figure that out, it also won't cause an undue amount of strain on the boat.
But the traveler aspect is another kettle of fish altogether. Rather than reinvent the wheel I'd like to see others' solutions. And I'd really like to hear about the various concerns both negative and positive about sail shape and handling and introduction of strains to the boat and possible resultant damage....
Jeff
Sparta and Sea Isle City, NJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

skeenut:
I have a roll bar on my TI that I described how I built it in a couple threads "Motor sailing Tandem TI "
(viewtopic.php?f=71&t=44837)

Here is a pic of the roll bar, it has a traveler on top to guide the sail control line, and helps keep the sail lines off of the rear passengers head. Because it does bend the sail control line it affects the sail control slightly, but not too bad. My old mast was stiffened and the roll bar affected that sails performance much worse than my new mast (standard un-reenforced mast).

I don't fish at all so I have no use for rod holders, however rod holders could be easily added to this design just by replacing the PVC elbows with PVC T's

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Guy's, Here is mine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As fusioneng said, raising the line of the sheet does affect the sail shape slightly...

By raising the line, the tension on the leech (back edge) of the sail will be reduced compared to tightening of the foot of the sail.

I guess you have to juggle convenience against performance.

But if you are looking to actually enhance performance by using a traveller, rather than just increasing headroom, an alternative is to set up barber haulers from the padeyes at the rear of each ama, attached to the clew (rear corner) of the sail, so you can adjust the horizontal position of the clew. This is particularly useful for downwind sailing as you can then move the rear of the sail right out to the full beam of the Island. Of course the trade-off then is the complication of having a barber hauler on each side plus cleats (and possibly even tackle to increase purchase to 2 to 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

no problems here, no worries about sail lines or anything, works awesome! i am gonna re-do it and tweak it a little. I basically copied Livingwaters design i had seen either here or on texas kayak fisherman when i was trying to get ideas, and added some of my own tweaks.

scotty flush mounts, screw right into 1" PC threaded pipe btw.

I use a precisionpak cratepak maxbehind me and fits perfect in the well, the sail lines do hit it, but never hindered by it.

might add 2 more scotty power locks to it.

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thrashie's looks way nicer than mine.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thrashie wrote:
no problems here, no worries about sail lines or anything, works awesome! i am gonna re-do it and tweak it a little. I basically copied Livingwaters design i had seen either here or on texas kayak fisherman when i was trying to get ideas, and added some of my own tweaks.

I use a precisionpak cratepak maxbehind me and fits perfect in the well, the sail lines do hit it, but never hindered by it.

i need to make one up after our first trip today. how did you bend the tube?

cheers
cc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chopcat wrote:
Thrashie wrote:

i need to make one up after our first trip today. how did you bend the tube?

cheers
cc

The long bends are grey PVC for electrical conduit and the short bends are white PVC for pressure pipe, all painted black. Use 1 1/4" pipe

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2012 TI and experience the same problem of the mainsheet lines interfering with the backseat person. I think the solution is a roll bar that fits into the existing rod holders raising the mainsheet lines higher. I also want to attach rod holders on it.

This has been addressed before with pics and videos from Halibu77 and Living Waters but the videos and pics are no longer available.

Does anyone have a design that works for them? How does it affect the handling of the mainsheets and does it put an undue strain on the boat or sail with the mainsheets raised?

Anyone having any designs and pics and material specifications that they are happy with and would be willing to share?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I prefer not to use a "rollbar" and came up with this solution for carrying rods while on the way to the fishing grounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZQSxVt63os

But let me say that I am in no way opposed to making and using these "rollbars" if you choose to carry your rods upright. Different strokes for different folks, you know. I appreciate the creativity in all these different ideas.