Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.extremekayakfishing.com/

I took part in the September EKFT last weekend here in South Florida and thought I would share a few pics and a story with you all. If you click on the link above, there is also a gallery there.

We were to launch from Pompano Beach at 6am, but major storm conditions set in as launch time got close. 80+ kayak anglers huddled under two small tents is a funny sight, but the lightning and rainstorms were not. Thankfully, the squalls subsided by 7:30am and we launched into 2-3ft surf with many noobs and experienced guys alike getting swamped on their way out. I even had to drain about 2 gallon's worth of water from my front hatch liner :shock: The Pro-Angler 12 and Outbacks were well represented with a sprinkling of Revos, PA14s and non-Hobie craft mixed in as well.

About a mile out, as my newly installed Lowrance Elite 4 ( :wink: ) read 100' or so, I put out the live pilchards hoping for a Kingfish (King Mackerel) bite. That didn't happen; I got maybe 5 Bonito (Atlantic Little Tunny) on the live bait but they were ineligible for the weigh-in. Pedaling out to 200' I did manage to get a nice 37" Kingfish on 7oz speed jig.

Unfortunately no more fish were had and the waves were starting to make me feel a bit green (rare for an island boy like me!) so I made my way back to the beach. Many other anglers did not fare as well as I did, but a few stood out with decent sized Mahi, multiple Kingfish, and one guy who caught a monstrous 40+ pound Kingfish (naturally he won the tourney). Someone even landed a sailfish and successfully released it, winning that division.

Pics coming, I think the image hosting sites are blocked here at work :roll:
Tight lines everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Beach left:

Beach right:

Beach center: (mine is the yak on the right)

Me disappearing behind a wave at the launch...

and the catch!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great job and nice pics! The site of all of those kayaks on the beach is pretty amazing!

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jcanracer,

I was there but not as a participant. I have no ocean experience in my revolution yet. I am glad the tourney was not my first. The 2-3' moderate chop was nasty. I saw many guys draining their adventures and revolutions of water taken on in the sloppy surf.

I just had to replace my front hatch gasket and two bungees that were on their last legs on my revolution on Sunday. Had I been in that surf I would have swamped. I do carry (6) six swim noodles inside hull (3 taped together each side for positive flotation) and a hand pump but opening a hatch to pump in that surf not a good idea.

The winner with his 39.9# King got a new Hobie revolution 13 and $2000.00. His was also the largest pelagic fish so he won a Bote Paddle Board with fishing stand. SWEEEET! Lucky Guy.

What nice fish from a kayak.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Revo, that's great you at least got to come out and have a look.
The winner really deserved it for bringing in such a beast of a fish on kayak!

BTW, I think they'll be doing this tournament bi-annually so look for another in the spring, if not sooner.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Man that looks like a GREAT time!