Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The idea is really pretty simple: :? how to rig a Hobe 18 with wings so that you can carry enough camping gear and food to be able to go out for a few days and enjoy the water and the great outdoors....while camping as you go on convenient sand spits/beaches.

The first time I tried this idea, three of us went for a 3 day camp on the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior. Very cold water, but great sailing.

Problem was, once you got all the stuff you needed for camping, there was not much room to move about the boat. So I thought about it :idea: and here is my first attempt to carry the gear but keep the tramp open. See the following pictures:

#1: shows you what it looks like when you have the cargo next hooked to the front (tramp) side of the wing.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/s ... 060003.jpg

#2 shows you how I laced the line for the cargo net and incorporated it into the wing cover.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/s ... 060004.jpg

#3 shows what the cargo net looks like when it is carrying the camping gear in drybags.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/s ... 060012.jpg

#4 shows how to to use the cargo net to both keep the pesky (you ever notice how every line on the tramp gets caught on these seat cushions?) required throw device and your map holder ready and easy to use.

I am off in a few days to go for a 4 day catamaran camping trip on the Chesapeake Bay and will report back how well the nets did (or did not) work for me.

Anybody try another method of stowing lots of gear on a CAT?

P.S. I also made a set of DIY beach tracks to allow the boat to be brought up on the beach by sliding along a set of PVC ladders. Will post pix if anyone interested.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Someone else mentioned on the forum using lengths of PVC pipe as a make shift beach roller.
When not in use they were tied to the underside of the wings.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would like to see pictures of the PVC ladder. I need this for my 21SE. Thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Will get you some pix...but will probably have to wait for about 7 days..so I can complete my sailing trip on the Bay.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OldSalt, could you share the details of your trip when you return? Where did you launch and where did you overnight each evening, etc? I didn't think this was possible in the Chesapeake Bay area - I would love to take my cat, rather than charter a monohull to explore the area. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The trip was very enjoyable, exciting, and caused me to discover several serious defects in my boat/boat rigging. Due to the volume of info I would like to share; I am currently looking into setting up a blog/website where all cruising cat captains can share their knowledge.

Post subject: Home Made Beach Sliders
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:D If you go to Photobucket.com, you can see pictures of the Beach Sliders here:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/sassydad1/WinnersFromEasternShoreTrip008.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/s ... rip008.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/s ... p005-1.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/s ... p005-1.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use similar PVC pipe to pull my boat up on the beach but without the rope attachements. What are these used for?

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The rope holding all of the PVC together serves two purposes: first, once the hulls are on the first piece of PVC, it locks the sliders under the boat and keeps them from moving away from the hulls; second, by having the sliders roped together it is much easier to store them without worrying if one or more of the pipe sections can fall overboard.

Based upon a single trial (when the tide moved the hulls off of the sliders & one set of sliders ended up washing into the surf), I will probably add a line to each slider set to attach them to the boat so as to keep them from washing away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I want to do an extended trip out on the Florida Bay starting from Flamingo and taking the fastest route north west or south east, which ever is more favorable. My idea for cargo carrying has me using two 6" or larger pvc pipes mounted on the front portion of the pontoons and sitting in a way so that there is minimum drag created when partially submerged. I am going to use the no rot pvc exterior trim material for creating the hydrodynamic stand that will pressed against a small compressible foam layer that sits between the top of the cat haul and the base. I am thinking about how I can alter the hooks on an ordinary ratchet strap to dissipate the pressure point once tightened down. The PVC pipe/cargo tube will also double as beach rollers so they must be at least 1 foot wider than the cat. I am also thinking about cutting a seattle sport dry bag so that it can be slipped over the back end and g-flexed to the tube so that there is easy access while sailing. The final result might make my cat look like a nose heavy military attack cat. I have tried to load up the under side of the benches and also made a quick frontal cross brace to hold two dry bags but in both cases I noticed unacceptable drag when sailing at limit. Any input? I sea kayaked this area many times as well as the Chesapeake Bay and am very knowledgeable of camping and boat ramp locations. Give me a shout and I can suggest a good route for you if interested!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

97sporty17 you could do what these guys did last fall.

Voyage of the Kingfish 2011. Florida to New York
http://www.harrypidgeonproductions.com/

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38325

Corkguy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have a look at : Outboard on a 18, a post from may 10th 2012 : some ideas to modify the 18 to make a trek.
Michel.