Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mkrawats:

I actually have two trains of thought here.

1. First thought is, can the slope be made easier to climb if you were to set up two boards as ramps (2" x6"x 16 ft ($10.47 ea at Lowes)) so at least you would have a nice clean surface to haul the boat up with less angle (depending of course on the length of the boards and the height to get over. You would still be man handling the boat though. If you launch there often just leave the boards at the beach on top of the hill (out of sight from the beach). There are tons of Hobie 16's just sitting at beaches everywhere, nobody usually messes with stuff like that. If you treat the boards with waterproofer or deck stain they should last at least a couple years out there in the weather). If somebody steals them it's only $20 bucks (what are they going to do with two 16 ft boards)

2: I have the same winch that Salty Dawg has. I used it to make a jib crane to lift my TI onto the roof of my SUV. I hate the dang thing. I should have spent $20-$30 more at Harbor Freight and bought a darn electric winch (winches are very inexpensive at Harbor Freight). I would then mount the winch to a piece of plywood with holes drilled in the corners for anchor spikes (tent anchors). I would then get a motorcycle battery and use the electric winch to bring the boat up the hill (can probably get 3 or 4 lifts from one battery charge). When transporting from the car just throw the whole works on top of the boat and wheel it over to the cliff, leave the winch on shore, go sailing, when you get back winch it back up the hill, and throw it back on the boat for storage and transport.

Option 1 is cheaper, and you only need to haul the lumber once.

my 2 cents
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What's the drop at the ledge?

The wheels could actually be an impediment when trying to cross the ledge of a sharp incline. (If you get it that far) :lol:

At that point, it's better to have someone lift the rear (pivot) as you pull it. Yes?

Too bad someone with a shovel didn't level this out the night before you got there,.. just sayin. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So I am interested with how you have managed with this.

I was going to suggest getting a 4x4 with a winch.

I have used mine a few times on really soft steep beaches (not good to drag the TI if the beach is a bit rocky though).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU, the cliff is 12' high and a 45 degree incline.

Geordie, could you post a picture of your winch setup? How do you secure the wooden post into the soft sand?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey mkrawats,
my winch is connected to my truck (sorry by 4x4, I meant 4 wheel drive ie. Jeep), mounted in the front bar (it is intended for dragging the truck out of bogs or up steep inclines).

A few of the beaches I have launched at in remote areas in South West Australia only have 4 wheel drive access so I have the vehicle relatively close.

I had replaced the steel winch cable with 30m (100 feet) of much softer and lighter Dyneema rope so can use it to run down the beach and winch the TI up.

With an extension rope and a remote controller on the winch, I can be over 100 feet from where the vehicle is parked, but I have only used it over about 30 feet up a steep beach where I did not dare take the vehicle down or it would have never got out again.

If you need to winch and have no way to get a vehicle close, then I would say the boat type winch mounted to a wooden block or light weight alloy would give you the best winching distance and power for a small winch. (like the photo by Salty Dawg earlier). I would moutnt one of those on a block of wood so you can winch without it wobbling all over the place. Use rope instead of cable. Have another rope to attach back to the railing or post anchor point.

There are also some good sand anchor pegs that I have seen but is you can attach by rope to a rail that would be more permanent.

Last edited by Geordie on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just wrap mine around the nearest "No Trespassing" sign. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
I just wrap mine around the nearest "No Trespassing" sign. :mrgreen:

Ha ha love it.
After all, that is obvously why they put them there so you can haul your boat out and get out of the area quick.