Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Hobie Community. I'm leaving house ~ 4am in the morning heading to ACK Store in San Marcos, TX to pick up my 2013 PA14. Like a kid at Christmas, I can't wait. My question for anyone that may know, I've already got a Malone Micro-Sport Trailer for previous Yak and really like the trailer. Problem is that the cross bars are spaced 48" c-t-c and cannot be expanded to the 67" Hobie recommends for the PA craddles. So I ordered the Malone Saddle-up Pro set and will be picking those up with the new PA.
Has anyone ever tried the saddles on a shorter span (48" center)? I was also wondering if along with the Saddle-up craddles, if I use the PVC pipes lengthwise under the PA, how have you been securing the PVC? Are you just grabbing the PVC next to the bottom when you latch the harnesses?
Any advice on the PA14 and a Micro-Sport Trailer would be appreciated. I've got a 600 mile round trip for tomorrow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wanted to share some pic's and say thanks for all the information on the discussion boards. I picked up the 2013 PA 14 yesterday from ACK. This morning spent $33 for PVC mod to the Malone trailer. I've tested it out loading and unloading and down the road for a test drive. I think this is a good option for the PA, the retractable tongue feature allows me to store in a standard length garage yet be able in a few minutes to get hooked up and headed to the water. Speaking of which if the weather cooperates, the new boat will be doing some floating in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looking good!, glad everything worked out and hope you get to post up some fish pictures!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That will certainly work just fine. If you decide you want the boat lower, just dump the Malone uprights and rig the pipe right on the trailer crossbars. That'll get it down much lower to the water negating to need to back down the ramp as far.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks awesome..I'm looking at getting the same set up. How did you mount the PVC to the cross bars?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used carriage bolts up through the 2x4 into bottom of the PVC and then secured with a flange nut. I used U-bolts to secure the 2x4s to the trailer cross-bars. I give lots of credit for the idea from seeing how Tom Kirkman rigged his trailer.

Tom's suggestion to this post is also valid. I could as he suggested dump the trailer crossbar and mount directly to the trailer frame. To do that I'd have to work around the spare tire which is doable. I'm not sure I'll go that way because with the crossbar, I can still carry another yak using J-craddle and I kinda like having the boat a little higher on the trailer. It allows me to see it well through rear view going down the road. His point is the advantage of launching in the water and that's certainly true.

Thanks for the comments :wink: