Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paddling a PA 14
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Forum - for those of you that fish shallow water/flats, how how you found the PA to paddle? Tough due to size/weight? What would you say you average for speed? What size paddle would you recommend? I imagine some members prefer to pole instead of paddle. I currently paddle a Native Ultimate 14 (good speed) but am enamored with the space and utility of a PA14. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Post subject: Re: Paddling a PA 14
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not much need to paddle in skinny water. You can "flutter" the mirage drive using short strokes, so the fins do not reach max depth. It still provides more forward thrust than paddling a PA14.

phlyry wrote:
Forum - for those of you that fish shallow water/flats, how how you found the PA to paddle? Tough due to size/weight? What would you say you average for speed? What size paddle would you recommend? I imagine some members prefer to pole instead of paddle. I currently paddle a Native Ultimate 14 (good speed) but am enamored with the space and utility of a PA14. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think mine came with a 260cm paddle when I bought mine. I view paddling as you can but won't want to unless you are training for a kayak race.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only time I paddle is when I am in very skinny (less than 1 ft) water. Speed at that depth is of no concern. Probably more worried about getting past this shallow water or running into oysters. Or, I could be up in the flooded grass which would find me standing and using the paddle as a push pole. The only other time I would paddle would be when coming into the launch with the Mirage Drive out.

Yes, a long paddle is required for the PA due to its width. Otherwise you would find yourself leaning over the side of the kayak with each stroke in order to get the paddle deep enough into the water.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I paddle when I need to back up. If you are in that shallow of water, just get out and tow the PA with a rope, then get back in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree with those above. I DON'T paddle my PA14. I will pin the fins to the bottom of the yak, bungee them in place, stand and push pole if I'm in ultra shallow water but that's about it. When I say ultra shallow I'm talking less than 8". That's about the only time that fluttering doesn't give enough forward propulsion to be useful.

I have my transducer mounted to a Liberator arm so it's just at the surface of the water. If the depth sounder reads "1ft" I can pedal with full strokes still. Any thing under that and I get cautious about anything other than flutter kicks. Once I start hitting oysters with flutter kicks then it's time to stand and push pole until I get into deeper water again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If I need to paddle my PA14, I position myself at the very front of the seat. It puts me in a comfortable paddle-stroke position the paddle easily enters the water on both sides without hitting the gunwale (using the two-section paddle that came with the PA).

_____
_<>-+ copterchief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's a slow paddle craft :roll:
I think a longer shaft would be helpful, but as the others have said, there's not many times I need to paddle...

To reverse and to get to deeper water...
When in shallow water, you can flutter the drive (short foot strokes) or in extremely shallow water (fishing the flats), I pull my drive and use push pole...

I have been guilty of using my paddle as a push pole, I just have to be careful not to apply too much pressure.

God Bless,
Doc S

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use the paddle that came with the PA 14. When I paddle in the flats to get from point A to point B i might get up to 2.5 miles per hour. BUT point B should be less then a half mile away. If windy get out and wade the yak to where you need to go.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I do not use the paddle that came with my PA14. I use a wooden "Steering paddle" from a war canoe.I find the shaft long enough to be able to paddle in reasonable comfort or, if the water is that skinny, I can use it as a push pole. I don't, however recommend paddling for great distances unless there is absolutely no other option.

Regards....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You can also use a SUP paddle. They work extremely well in shallow water.