Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reefing at sea
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I do not like that to reef the sail that I must come to shore. I want to cut off the nubbin on the halyard that catches at the top of the mast. I would add a cheek block to the mast and rig the main halyard similar to the jib halyard so that there would be three parts of the rope to take the load. This would allow me to lower the mainsail at sea in case of an imminent squall. I am a Senior and do not race at all. For me, safety is more important than speed. What do you think of my proposed solution? Any other solution(s)?

Post subject: Re: Reefing at sea
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Robert,

Rigging the main halyard like the jib halyard would not reduce the load on the single line going up to the sail. It only distributes the load on the lower part of the rig. You must have an older boat if you can reef. My '85 was the last year it was available. I reefed once and didn't find enough difference to bother again. I still have the boat. You don't need to make a special rig to avoid using the clip on top of the mast. I have seen people cleat the main halyard without hooking it (by mistake). I am not sure if roller furling is available for the jib on an H-16 but I would think that would be better to depower in a heavy breeze.

I, too, am a senior (78) and don't race. If a squall is coming, I would head for shore not just to reef but to get off the water. Where do you sail, ocean, bay or lake?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Robert... I made up this sail by cutting down an older one to the reef line and re sewing it... Only used it for one year... the boat handled pretty well with it... the best thing i did was to get a furling system for the 16 jib... it makes it easy to de-power when i decide to head to shore... Now i go out in almost any weather, as long as i have crew heavy enough to help me right the boat.

where do u sail???

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Howard, I have a Hobie 16 number 25959 built in 1975. I sail on Lake Winnipesaukee, the largest lake in New Hampshire. It came with one set of reef points and I had a sailmaker put in a second set (higher up). I use the reefing not infrequently and find it very useful. In the decade that I have sailed the boat I have capsized only once and was double reefed at the time. I usually sail with an inexperienced passenger, sometimes a Senior. The wire part of the halyard becomes a 3/16" rope. I want it to be three parts because after I reef I tighten the boom downhaul and heave in hard on the sheet. All of this puts a lot of strain on the halyard. On the lake, squalls can come up quickly and there may only be unprotected rocky shores anywhere nearby. I want to be able to get the sail down "at sea".

Hi Someone with a cut down mainsail, Is the roller jib only for furling or can it be used for reefing the jib also? I like to have some jib so that I can back it when coming about.

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Robert... i have never tried using the jib partially furled. i just find it fast and convenient when coming to shore to power down before i hit the beach.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've reefed a few times lately in winds of 20 plus with crew. The boat does stand up more and is a little more forgiving in puffs. The sail shape is fair, but not great.

The other day I went out solo in 15 to 20 and considered reefing. I did not and was happy. In the puffs, I found that a bit of luffing was quite effective, and no negative impact on the fully battened main.

I think the ability to have a better sail shape without the reefing outweighs the benefit (for me, anyway)

I understand now why they discontinued the reef points in 1985...